Wago connectors for ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I purchased some wago connectors from Clas Ohlson today. The packaging says they're rated for 32A at 400v. Am I correct in saying you can hide these under floor boards within a suitable enclosure? I was introduced to them by my electrician friend but he said you can't get them for use on ring main.

If not I could use them for lighting though right?

Sponsored Links
I beleive they are approved for use as a none accessible joint, but personally I wouldn't be happy to hide them away under a floor etc.

If they are rated to 32A then they are fine for use on circuits up to 32A

The cabling on any leg of a ring main needs to be rated to 20A, so you may have spent more than you needed to if ring extensions etc were your intention.

Do they have mf on the box
Afaik the only ones that are packaged and tested to conform to uk standard are the "Ideal" ones

Sponsored Links
Personally I like them.

I find they have a good strong grip, with out damaging the conductor.
A good tug will pull them out but wago enclosure prevents any pulling force.

Crimps do give a good joint, but need a bit of experience and can sometimes fail will little pull pressure, even though you have done it the same as all the others

I don't know of any suitable enclosures with cable clamps for crimps when the joints are staggered (Domestic) as the length of the joints can get quite big

Discussed here with a detailed response from Wago them selves

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co...nnectors-pulled-on-assessment/page__hl__wagos

Being suitable for uk and being inaccessable is entirely different.

Only ones marked mf can be inaccesible

WAGO junction box complies with BS EN60670-22 and 17th Edition of BS7671

I use them on lighting circuits all the time. Their pushwire terminal blocks are rated at 24A withe the exception of their 3 pole which is rated at 41A

Their lever cage to clamp terminal are all rated at 32A

Pushwire to cage clamp are all 24A

personally I wouldn't be happy to hide them away under a floor etc.

not even the wagos with the snap clamp?

also, to original poster, if you use these, they make a proper box to put the wagos in which offers some strain relief, and protection for the joint.

wouldnt put them under a floor loose and unprotected.

...then I normally just stick a 240v sticker on it, or isolate before opening sticker etc.
Do you do that with all your JBs?

Kind Regards, John

lol yes, i know its not a requirement.. but it does contain live terminals inside and mains voltage.

maybe a waste of time and expense, but im rather safety cautious and have been known to go over the top and beyond basic requirements.

on subject of stickers.. saw something suspcious a few weeks ago lol.
somebody had run a "cooker cable" as they put it so assume 6mm likely, along their fence to the back.. then behind the neighbours fences along the back (behind the fence is a grass slope next to a road).. out to their garage which is separate from the house.

consumer unit had an "NICEIC" sticker on it?
i wouldnt of thought that the house builders would of stuck a consumer unit in the garage with no feed, and I know they put their own supply cable between house and garage.. so I dunno where they got the NICEIC sticker from.

...then I normally just stick a 240v sticker on it, or isolate before opening sticker etc.
Do you do that with all your JBs?
lol yes, i know its not a requirement.. but it does contain live terminals inside and mains voltage.
True, but why do you single out JBs? The same is true of any accessory in an electrical installation (sockets, switches, FCUs etc.), not to mention all appliances. All "contain live terminals [or, at least, live conductors] inside at mains voltage" and, in the vast majority of cases, those live terminals/conductors can be exposed simply by use of a screwdriver (just like the JBs) .... or do you stick labels on everything 'electrical'?!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back