Wall between House and Integral Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Im knocking through from my Kitchen into the Garage, wondering if people think the wall pictured below is Supporting or Not?
I have a structural engineer booked to come out but it wont be until the end of FEB!!!!
I wont plan to do any work until i have got the sign off from him, but just after people ideas so i can have a rough idea of the budget, A couple of neighbours have done the same work and are adamant its not a supporting wall, however it doesnt look this way in the pictures as its not tied into the beam behind.

any help greatly appreciated.

396-BC850-F32-D-4289-A527-3-C62-C7-D70245.png
F7C85E5F-1A09-406E-AB62-D030F209D17C.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Pretty hard to tell whats going on in those 2 blurry photos without any context... Single storey garage? Flat roof? Where are the photos taken?

What are you actually intending to do - take out the entire wall or just put a new doorway in?

Pretty hard to tell whats going on in those 2 blurry photos without any context... Single storey garage? Flat roof? Where are the photos taken?

What are you actually intending to do - take out the entire wall or just put a new doorway in?
Thanks for the reply , the pictures are taken from in the garage either side of a beam , pointing towards the wall I would like to remove .
It’s a single story garage with a slanted roof , house is detached it’s built by Bryatt homes and it’s a Victoria. I had a look online and can see plenty of people have knocked through into the garage , I was wanting to remove the wall as on the plan below and add bifolding doors on the back .
Structural engineer is coming out but not until the end of feb !!

Attachments

• 70BCE1F1-1795-4D13-8A43-817EFA09B34D.jpeg
    70BCE1F1-1795-4D13-8A43-817EFA09B34D.jpeg
    753.6 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
House design is below

Attachments

• 6FF68411-058B-4E46-A6F3-9A3683A5BE08.jpeg
    6FF68411-058B-4E46-A6F3-9A3683A5BE08.jpeg
    843.3 KB · Views: 32
Had the engineer out, he said I needed calcs for a RSJ so I paid for this to be done ; got them back now and apparently the wall I’m removing is just supporting the floor boards above , nothing to else , I pointed out to him on site that none of the joists are actually sat on the wall there is a good 2mm gap,
Done some more research and the floor beams and 50x147 spaced 400mm between each joist , and the span of the joists is only 2.4 metres as it’s just for the garage ,
Looking at the below in my untrained eye it looks like as the span on these is under 3.3 metres they will not be supported by any wall under which would explain the small gap between wall and joists.

Can anyone confirm , if so it looks like the SE has led me down the garden path so to speak and priced up something that isn’t needed?

Why not ask your neighbours if they had any structural calcs done, beams fitted etc?
I done this before and they said it’s not structural so they took it down , I wasn’t 100% though so I thought for the coat of a visit £120 it was worth just getting someone round , as the floor beams for the garage are separate and the span is only 2.6 metres then it looks to me like the structural engineer has got it wrong , he has stated the wall I want to remove is only supporting the floor above and not the roof ,
However surely if the floor boards are under 3.3 metres and correctly spaced apart the wall won’t be needed to support them?

If the wall you want to remove isn’t supporting the joists, what is? Is there another wall nearby supporting them?

If so, ask the engineer if the joists will span with the wall in question removed.

If the wall you want to remove isn’t supporting the joists, what is? Is there another wall nearby supporting them?

If so, ask the engineer if the joists will span with the wall in question removed.
There is a beam down the middle of the floor joists that is supporting them

If they are only carrying floor load then you won't need a beam. You are correct that 50x150 joists will span 3.3m with no additional support. Have a conversation with the SE but you shouldn't need the beam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back