Wall Chaser Recommendation

The one time I used a chaser I fitted a large extractor fan in a sheet of ply wood and fitted that into the window and taped it in place. Set to blow outwards.

The draught into the room under the door stopped dust getting into the rest of the house and increased the amount of breathable air in the room.

The lawn at the front turned a nice shade of pulverised stone and mortar and the garden at the back turned brick dust orange,

The vacuum cleaner clogged and over heated.

The chaser casing split

Never again will I use a chaser.

I loaned it to a chap 2 years ago and if he ever offers to return it I will move and not give him my new address.

Sponsored Links
Dust is a big issue and using an SDS chisel is ideal in most cases as it only creates localised dust, but for brick walls I find using a wall chaser the easiest and quickest method.

edit: Having said that, an SDS Scutch Comb Chisel which I saw mentioned the other day may make light work of brick, but I have no experience of these.

but for brick walls I find using a wall chaser the easiest and quickest method.

The only reason I used a chaser that one time was the fact that the walls were stone in lime mortar and chiselling was loosening too many stones to the extent they were falling out of the wall. The chaser did cut without dislodging that many stones.

On the brick extension it cut like a knife through butter but the dust was horrendous.

I've got a Ferm that I picked up brand new & cheap on Fleabay.

Never dared use it. :confused:

Sponsored Links
I've been using a Erbauer for a good couple of years with no problems, but I do look after it and give it a good clean after each use. For dust extraction it's attached to a Henry and it works a treat. The Henry bags do get clogged quite quickly, but I think that's a small price to pay for the limited dust overspill.

Over time I've chased loads of meters in stone, render, brick and block and if you take your time, with good blades it will cut through most materials and is definitely a neater job than a SDS chisel.

With EBS tools... again if you use the circular cutter first to the correct depth a good make box cutter will work well.

Buy the biggest motor you can afford on a makita or dewalt 5 " grinder. Then visit the website of a company called dust control. They will supply you a suction casing and a dust extractor that leaves minimal dust.
I've used one they are the dogs. Will cost around £700 for the entry model.
Worst dust spill is where chases meet, or if you chase away from extraction point oh and where plaster drops off wall
http://dustcontroluk.co.uk/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back