wall chasing tool

atm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok can anyone please recommend a wall chasing tool.

do i go for a stand alone unit or a drill acessory?

pros and cons please..

your experiences are most appreciated.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
If you use anything other than a hammer and chisel make sure you get decent dust extraction

And probably make sure that you empty the property of all clothing, soft furnishings, carpets, and anything else made of fibres or cloth.... :eek:

Sponsored Links
ok can anyone please recommend a wall chasing tool.

do i go for a stand alone unit or a drill acessory?

pros and cons please..

your experiences are most appreciated.

many thanks

Be prepared for dust & lots of it !
As for what one to go for, get one with dust collection & a decent depth/width of cut.

ive got the one at the top of the link page,and the hoover that goes with it .
its a very good piece of kit and wouldnt be without it.empty the hoover bag regular and enjoy a pretty much dust free environment while your using it.

its up to you how you play it,you can take on more work with it,or price more competitively or both

http://www.protrade.co.uk/default.asp?t=79037

For small works these work well

p1408238_x.jpg

And these are handy for getting behind skirtings on solid walls

p1405563_x.jpg

I've got a cheap twin disc cutter and an SDS hammer drill with flat chisel attachment. I've set the discs just wider than the chisel, and it takes minutes to cut a channel from floor to ceiling and then knock out the material between the groves with the chisel. The disc cutter has a hoover attachment, and when its working it doesn't generate much dust. This photo shows a channel and back box (click for larger image):

The advantages are that it's very quick and it looks quite neat. The disadvantages are that it generates a lot of dust if the hoover attachment falls off or the hoover gets full. Also, you still have to manually channel the few inches up to the ceiling or down to the floor.

To give you an idea of the dust: The hoover attachment fell off when I was a few feet from the floor, so I decided to finish the channel. As I finished the room went dark and when I stood up I couldn't see my feet. I had to stand still for a couple of minutes so that the dust could settle and I could see which floor boards I had lifted up.

For the back boxes I've use the chisel on its own, which doesn't generate much dust. I've also used a single diamond disc on an angle grinder (like in the photo), this is quicker but generates a lot of dust as I don't have a hoover attachment for it.

Is that drop in a safe zone? :D
:D I hoped you'd ask! The T+E is a spur from a double socket further down the wall, so the vertical channel is in the safe zone of that socket. The twin back box is for a printer and is offset from the channel so it sits above a fitted unit. I've got some notes and a photo by the CU since it isn't obvious which safe zones I've used.

The other T+E in the channel runs floor to ceiling and is for a circuit in the loft. I assume it's OK to run two circuits in the same channel?
Also, someone commented in another thread that the CAT5 cable shouldn't run in the same channel as mains. If it's just to avoid interference then I'll leave it as it is - It doesn't appear to suffer at the moment.

Also, someone commented in another thread that the CAT5 cable shouldn't run in the same channel as mains. If it's just to avoid interference then I'll leave it as it is - It doesn't appear to suffer at the moment.
It's not just that - if they are in the same channel then all the cables must be insulated for the highest voltage present, and I don't think Cat5 cable is rated at 230V....

I see. I haven't plastered over the channel yet, so I'll move the cat 5 into a separate smaller piece of conduit in the same channel. Fortunately I cut the channel a bit deeper than intended. Apologies for side tracking this thread slightly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back