Wall Foundations (Party Wall Pinning)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm having to lay some foundations for a single story extension I'm building. I will be building as close to a brick party wall as I can. The party wall is around 2 - 2.5m high.

The footings of this party wall....well actually I would call them footings!......is basically a 300mm deep kick board, with steel reinforcement running through it, and about 150mm wide.

I have submitted plans along the lines of digging my footing (900mm deep) next to this party wall, with a trench fill that will support the wall laterally. I'm going to need to do this in section to prevent the wall from collapsing. The footing will be 5.5m in length. My plan is to build the front and rear footing with a 1m length perpendicular to support the part wall. This will leave 3.5mm of wall left to dig and fill. So will also dig a middle section.

My question is could any offer any recommendation on how long to dig that middle section. I was thinking of 1.5m, leaving two final section of 1m to fill. (so two 1m sections of soil would be left supporting that 5.5m section of wall?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back