Wall hung wall toilet - Plasterboard in front?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon all

We are currently renovating a bathroom (in Spain) and having ripped out the old bathroom we are installing a new wall hung toilet (Grohe Rapid SL). We want to increase the depth of the area behind the concealed toilet cistern to incorporate some storage alcoves (approximately 250mm depth). The width of the frame is 500mm and we have 650mm. The toilet is being installed in a corner (to the right) and the soil pipe from upstairs is in this corner so my partner is bringing the toilet forward from the wall approximately 200mm and he wants to use long fixings to bridge the gap between the cistern and the wall. Then, he suggested building a brick wall in front of the cistern and putting tile adhesive directly on the bricks to tile over.

My question is: would it be better to build a small brick wall in front of the existing waste pipe and back wall but behind the concealed cistern frame (fixing the cistern frame directly to the new wall, then fix battens to the side of the cistern frame and use board and batten to create the alcoves above. I guess it is as broad as long - it just seems odd bricking up the front of the cistern as an attachment for tiles.....They usually brick everything in Spain I know... and don't use batten and plaster board so much...

Opinions appreciated. .. Thanks in advance... :)

upload_2016-1-28_14-56-12.png

Sponsored Links
You could secure a timber framed wall better than a brick one. It would also be better clad with a cement board instead of plaster board.

There is a lot of leverage on a wall hung pan as well as the weight of the occupier. You must ensure that the whole construction can't tip forward.
Frank

With that said as Woody says a properly anchored timber frame, with a wall hung mounting frame will be fine., better than an independent brick wall.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for that Woody - Ive just looked up cement board and it looks like a good idea.
Also thank you to theprinceofdarkness..... good advice... I will let you know how it turns out :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back