Wall insulation and sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As i am in the process on insulating the garage i have got lots of good advice on here which has helped me. Now i have come to insulate the house side of the garage which also has the existing lights switches and socket on it.

This is where i have run into a problem, my plans and materials are to place 50mm of xtratherm\celotex\kingspan insulation against the wall, cover this with with 25mmx50mm battens and then plasterboard on top.

The problem is the existing switches and sockets on the wall have the cables coming from directly behind them. So these will need to be pulled forward to sit infront of the insulation\batten\plasterboard. In turn this means the exisitng ring main and lighing cables will need to pass through the insulation board. What would be the best way of doing this, either make a small hole for literally the cable of make a bigger hole say the size of the switch\socket to allow the cable to be clear of insulation and have a decent air gap around it ?

thanks
dave

Sponsored Links
Just make a small hole, It wont make much difference to the cable

thanks woody, would it be a good idea to put a small piece of pipe through the insulation and have the cable run through that ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back