Wall Light is not working and suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Wall Light not working. I have checked all 3 bulbs in another lamp and they are fine. There is power to the lamp. There doesnt appear to be any loose/damaged/missing cables. When I pull the pull switch it clicks.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get this light working again ?

I have a couple of photos which might help. I have not posted any photoes before so have created an album and have posted below the code it seemed to imply I needed. So I hope you can see them.

View media item 44172 pic 1
View media item 44173 pic 2

Sponsored Links
I take it this haven't just stopped working but that you have replaced a previous fitting?
Cannot see the pictures but when you say there is power to the lamp how have you measure this power?
If it is with a magic wand or worse still a screwdriver then you will need to get hold of a two prong multimeter.
Then test between live and neutral at the various points in the lights structure for example before and after the pull switch. You should get 240v give or take.
Edit:
Just seen the photo - looks like you need to test at the terminal block inside the lighting unit - this will show whether the pull switch is working.

I take it this haven't just stopped working but that you have replaced a previous fitting?
Cannot see the pictures but when you say there is power to the lamp how have you measure this power?
If it is with a magic wand or worse still a screwdriver then you will need to get hold of a two prong multimeter.
Then test between live and neutral at the various points in the lights structure for example before and after the pull switch. You should get 240v give or take.
Edit:
Just seen the photo - looks like you need to test at the terminal block inside the lighting unit - this will show whether the pull switch is working.

The light was replaced quiet a while ago and worked for a good few months. Then it didnt work so change a bulb and it started working again. Then not long after it stop working altogether.

Without testing it becomes a guess.
So the transformer could have gone or the switch itself could be broken.
The bulbs could all have blow together - unlikely yes but.
Those bulbs are very sensitive to fingerprints - if you handle them incorrectly they will quickly go pop.
I note its IP44 is this housed in a bathroom?
Also how did you test that power was there and how far into the light unit did you record power.

Sponsored Links
Without testing it becomes a guess.
So the transformer could have gone or the switch itself could be broken.
The bulbs could all have blow together - unlikely yes but.
Those bulbs are very sensitive to fingerprints - if you handle them incorrectly they will quickly go pop.
I note its IP44 is this housed in a bathroom?
Also how did you test that power was there and how far into the light unit did you record power.

No it is in the living room and there are another 2 of the same fittings in the room and they are working ok.

I have just had my multimeter on the bloc at the top and the reading seems to be 125 not 230/240. Pulling the pull switch on and off didnt seem to make any difference. The pull seems to be enclosed so how would you check there ?

I have just had my multimeter on the bloc at the top and the reading seems to be 125 not 240/250. Pulling the pull switch on and off didnt seem to make any difference. The pull seems to be enclosed so how would you check there ?
The power arrives to those blocks before the switch.
What were you voltage figures for:
Live and Neutral
Live and Earth
Neutral and Earth

I have just had my multimeter on the bloc at the top and the reading seems to be 125 not 240/250. Pulling the pull switch on and off didnt seem to make any difference. The pull seems to be enclosed so how would you check there ?
Live and Neutral 125
Live and Earth 50
Neutral and Earth 27

Results

Live and Neutral 125
Live and Earth 50
Neutral and Earth 27

Live and Neutral
Live and Earth
Neutral and Earth
Results
Live and Neutral 125
Live and Earth 50
Neutral and Earth 27
If you have measured the voltages properly - multi-meter set to volts - one probe in the earth terminal and the other in live terminal then you should have got these results or similar.
Live and Neutral 230/240v
Live and Earth 230/240v
Earth and Neutral 0v
So clearly you have a problem.
Can you trace back the cable from this lamp to its power source?
Or back to a junction box - because you have loose or wrong connection somewhere.
Does this lamp link power to/from the other two lamps and if so have you checked that the cables are secure in those lamps.

Live and Neutral
Live and Earth
Neutral and Earth

The cable is burried in the wall so not sure where it comes from. I know there is a spur running down from the room above to provide a socket below the light...maybe this has been tapped into. I know at least one of the lights is not connected as it has its own light switch to turn the power on to it. I am not sure about the other light. I will try and investigate tomorrow. I have had nothing to do with getting these lights install so dont know the history of the power source.

Yes I have the multimeter setup on V~ 500 and the above is the reading it give me. Tomorrow maybe I should check the other 2 wall lamps to see what reading they are giving.

Just seen the photo
What photo?

All I see is this:

t317688.jpg

Sorry - no.

If posters can't be rsed to do things properly so that their photos display, I can't be rsed to go to extra lengths to track them down.

Getting it right isn't rocket science.

Sorry - no.

If posters can't be rsed to do things properly so that their photos display, I can't be rsed to go to extra lengths to track them down.

Getting it right isn't rocket science.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back