Wall light no earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Our lounge has two wires sticking from the wall where there were once wall lights. The wires end in taped-up chock-blocks, and I had planned to get some lights to connect them to. However a quick look has revealed that there is no earth, just the live+neutral.

I guess this will restrict what lights I can fit to ones without exposed metal parts. Would say a plaster one be okay, or is it more complicated than that?

It's also just occurred to me that I probably should test that the switch that I think powers them does actually do so.

Sponsored Links
If there is no earth then you will need lights that are double insulated (aka Class II).
These are identified by a sticker on them like this
Double-insulated-symbol.png

So it will depend on your light fitting, even metal ones may be ok, provided it is actually double-insulated.
Do look closely at the cable, sometimes the earth conductor is there but just cut back:mad:

I probably should test that the switch that I think powers them does actually do so.
Absolutely

Yup, and don't use a volt stick or neon driver.

Use a multimeter or other two pole device to get an accurate indication of voltage.

Thanks. at least one of the lights I was looking at says it's double insulated, so should be able to find something I like. Now finding something SWMBO likes may be a different matter :)

I have one of those useless detectors (a screwdriver that lights up) the problem is it lights up for pretty much anything. Including holding both both ends in your hands. Will get the multimeter out and check the wires. I couldn't see any earth cut back but not had a good look.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the LED (not neon) testers

upload_2016-4-18_16-10-42.png

which are more useful for testing continuity of fuses etc.

Looks a bit like that. I think it came free with something else. Don't think i've ever used it for anything more than levering the cover off something!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back