Wall Lighting - Wired?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I am not sure if this is a good place to ask this.

2 questions:

1) I am looking for a plug-wired (not mains operated), wall mounted light to go above my bed. I cannot seem to find an appropriate one anywhere. Some people I asked mentioned Ikea, but I am looking for one which uses a standard Bayonet connector, and none of Ikea's are like that (All small Edison or other types).

2) If I bought a mains-operated light, would it be possible for me to fix a plug to it and run it to a socket?

Sponsored Links
1)Not sure what you mean by "plug wired- not mains operated", what else are you going to plug it into if not the mains? Why are you limiting yourself by ruling out E.S. & other lamps? 2) what type did you have in mind?

By mains operated I mean ones which you have to wire into the mains, like a ceiling light, and which would mean taking apart some of the plaster on the wall, wiring it up, then plastering back over the top of it. No plugs, no visible wiring, just a switch.

I want one that just screws to the wall, and runs to a plug.

The reason I would rather have a bayonet fixing rather than ES or SES is that every other light in my house is bayonet, and I already have quite a stock of bayonet lightbulbs. It would be a shame to have to go and buy different bulbs just for this one light.

Sponsored Links
Mechanicus, I understand what you mean now & yes you could use any suitable fitting on a flying lead with a 13A plug fused down, but afterdoing a few searches I have not been able to find any that take bayonet lamps, so sorry cannot help further.

You can get ES to BC adaptors frome the likes of Maplin, but space may be a bit tight to use them.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=1331&doy=30m6.

If you fit a flex to a lamp that's designed to be fixed, you would need to fit a clamp to prevent the cable being pulled out of the fitting accidentally. It does happen, and you can end up with a bare live conductor exposed that's quite capable of electrocuting someone, even if it has a low value fuse in the plug.

If the lamp has been designed to be fixed, with fixed wiring, then this isn't a hazard as there's no trailing leads, so there probably won't be an adequate cable clamp built in.

It just seems rediculous to me that I cannot find any wall-mounted lights that come with a plug fitting.

Today I tried:

Rosebys
Argos
Homebase
Focus
Dunelm
B&Q

All of these had wall mounted lights, but they were all mains-fitting.
Ikea seems to be the only place, but the closest one is 30 miles away (60m round trip!). Far too far to go for a £5 light :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back