Wiring in LED lights behind TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, could someone advise the best way to tackle the following.

I want to add some LED lights behind my flatscreen TV. I had the TV installed a while ago, channelled all the existing AV/power wiring into the walls and plastered over so it looks nice and neat. I don't really want to go digging into the plasterboard again..

I have bought some LED strip lights from IKEA (DIODER) which are powered by a mains plug, 5 Amp fuse, before realising that I don't have enough room left to feed the wire through the existing channel in the wall.

The TV wire however is channelled in, and connected to the mains plug, 13 Amp fuse. My question is, can I use the existing wire that runs to the TV, and power the TV and the lights safely. i.e. what would I need to do if I were to snip off the mains plug on the LEDs, snip of the IEC on the TV plug wire, and hopefully power the TV and lights.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If you can get a junction box with three cord grips (TV cable in and out, 230v a.c. flex out to LED driver) and it's small enough to sit behind your TV then there shouldn't be a problem.

ok, great, thought so. Got a 5amp junction box that will fit nicely. Do I need to change the current fuse in the mains plug from 13 to a 5 amp in this case and will this be ok for the TV?

Cheers, Ben

Strain relief in the form of a cord grip should really be in place to secure all incoming and outgoing cables from a junction box.

A 3A fuse should be adequate to power both your TV and LED lights.

You can either confirm the power rating of your TV (in watts or amps) or reply with your TV make and model number to be certain. The current draw from the LED lighting will be negligible.

Sponsored Links
garymo, thanks for your help. Can't see behind the TV as its on the wall, but its a Sony KDL40W3000. Will try and dig out the manual...

benellz, I saw those DIODER lights and had the same idea! I got two packs, one white, this sits on top of my wardrobe, shines on the ceiling. The other is a colour changing one (£5 extra?) and I stuck it to the back of my Phillips 32 inch TV!

Phillips make a TV with Ambilight, narners to that, I made my own :LOL:

channelled all the existing AV/power wiring into the walls and plastered over so it looks nice and neat.
I hope you took note of the regulations for concealed cables in walls, and those covering installing LV and ELV cables next to each other... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back