Connecting LG TV to existing cable through wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought an LG 19LU TV. This is for my daughter who rents a flat.

In the flat there was already a Ferguson TV mounted on a wall bracket but this TV did not work. The existing wall mounted TV was powered by a cable which emerged from the wall behind the TV itself and I expected simply to fit the new LG onto the existing bracket and connect the existing power lead into the new LG TV. There is a fused spur 5 feet below the TV that controls the power to this cable.

However, the connector on the cable coming out of the wall was different to the one needed for the LG. So I thought I would simply snip of the old connector, fit the LG type and all would be well. However, the cable feeding the old Ferguson TV had a brown and blue cable, but no earth, whereas the LG cable does have an earth. If I connect the LG connector to this cable (ignoring the earth wire) will this cause any problems and/or damage to the TV.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If I connect the LG connector to this cable (ignoring the earth wire) will this cause any problems and/or damage to the TV
Possible hazard of electrocution if the TV requires the earth to ensure it is safe to touch.

Indeed.

The people who sell that should be imprisoned, and you should be banished for suggesting its use WHEN YOU KNOW THAT THE TV NEEDS AN EARTH!

Sponsored Links
TBF, you're quite right, I missed that from the post.

OP don't use the suggested adapter, although, I'm guessing it's the other way round now I've re read the post, with an IEC for the LG and a figure of 8 for the old one.

Indeed.

The people who sell that should be imprisoned

Mind explaining why?

The product linked to is perfectly fine (think about it).
Now, if it were a male figure-of-8 (C7) to female 'kettle' (C13) you'd have a point, but not in this case.

and you should be banished for suggesting its use WHEN YOU KNOW THAT THE TV NEEDS AN EARTH!

The only thing Iggi is guilty of in this instance is for suggesting a product that would not work in the situation described in the OP.
Not really grounds for banishment :)

Some equipment has C13 connections with only two pins, but still get a standard "kettle lead" in the box

Some equipment has C13 connections with only two pins, but still get a standard "kettle lead" in the box

True.
An inlet of this type is known as a C18 connector.

The OP would need to confirm if the LG TV in question had a C14 or C18 inlet.
However, even if it did, it would still be extremely poor practice, and potentially very dangerous for future users, to put a C13 connector on a 2-core cable.

Useful link: http://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/files/IEC Connector Types.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back