TV Power Cable Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I have bought a new TV and the power connection to the TV is different. The issue is the cable is cemented in to the wall and the down through the chimney, so can't just buy a longer cable. My thought was to cut the cable and basically cut the new cable and join the new connector to the old cable. Is this possible or do I risk shorting out the new TV?

Sponsored Links
The issue is the cable is cemented in to the wall and the down through the chimney,
Not the best idea in hindsight! ;)

What sort of power cables do you mean, can you post pics?

I'm guessing at 2 core mains flex?
If that is the case, you could connect the two cables with something like this:

You can get adaptors to change between different ends. IE a cable with female kettle lead one end and male clove leaf the other.

Sponsored Links
The problem comes if the old TV did not have an earth and the new TV requires one.
I would have suspected that if there had been a change, it would be more likely to be in the other direction. I think that it's a long time since I've seen things like TVs which were not Class II.

Kind Regards, John

i don't think i've ever seen a CRT TV with an earth, while I have seen a number of LCD TVs with one. I don't buy TVs often enough to know if it's a newer verses older thing or if it's just something that varies betwen models.

Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I have bought a new TV and the power connection to the TV is different. The issue is the cable is cemented in to the wall and the down through the chimney, so can't just buy a longer cable. My thought was to cut the cable and basically cut the new cable and join the new connector to the old cable. Is this possible or do I risk shorting out the new TV?
Yes. Certainly possible

i don't think i've ever seen a CRT TV with an earth, while I have seen a number of LCD TVs with one. I don't buy TVs often enough to know if it's a newer verses older thing or if it's just something that varies betwen models.
The Thorn 2000 series colour TV from 1967/8 had an earth with 3 core cable.

The Thorn 2000 series colour TV from 1967/8 had an earth with 3 core cable.
Many of the bigger TVs had a 3 core lead or an earthed C14 IEC inlet as did anything remotely 'professional'.

I don't recall ever seeing a CRT without an earth. The only LCD I can think of that had an earth was the really expensive one sent out to radiologists to work from home during covid. They had the kettle leads rather than the clover ones, but I am not sure if the earth ran back to the plug.

The only LCD I can think of that had an earth was the really expensive one sent out to radiologists to work from home during covid. They had the kettle leads rather than the clover ones, but I am not sure if the earth ran back to the plug.
Nearly all the LED/LCD monitors in my workplace, have an earth connection - possibly (and I may be wrong!) because, if connected to a PC, the ground of the video cable would be earthed from the PC - any exposed shielding on the monitor would then be earthed anyway.
Even some monitors with an external PSU that would appear to be Class II, carry an earth through to the monitor.
...and some very strange external PSUs have an impregnated plastic case - it feels very weird carrying out an earth bond test to a plastic case and it passing! :)

Nearly all the LED/LCD monitors in my workplace, have an earth connection - possibly (and I may be wrong!) because, if connected to a PC, the ground of the video cable would be earthed from the PC - any exposed shielding on the monitor would then be earthed anyway.
That sounds like a credible possible explanation. However, as we often discuss, and despite the MIs of Class II things often saying "MUST NOT be earthed", there is really nothing 'wrong' with earthing any exposed metal parts of a Class II item - other than the general truth that it is undesirable to have any 'unnecessarily earthed metal' around - but that applies as much to sinks and window frames as it does to anything electrical/electronic.

Kind Regards, John

Aren't you contradicting yourself by saying there is nothing wrong with doing undesirable things.:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back