Wall lights without earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are decorating and having removed the 4 wall lights have noticed that there is no earth just the red & black.
Reading a few posts this seems common.
Can you advise or supply a link for where we can look to purchase new wall lights that are double insulated as trying to pull some wire through the wall is a no go option as it wont pull through.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What are your wall lights made of?
We are decorating and having removed the 4 wall lights have noticed that there is no earth just the red & black.
Check for earth core within the grey pvc sheath of the red cable, some times they are paired, but cut back or pushed back, instead of being connected.
Can you advise or supply a link for where we can look to purchase new wall lights that are double insulated

This is the symbol for double insulated equipment, you should be able to find suitable fittings at most electrical wholesalers as well as the sheds.

Also be aware if earth is non existent at your switches, they must be made of plastic and not metallic!

The switch is white bacolite or hard plastic not metyal anyway.
There is a earth with the red & black wire but it is cut off so close to where the grey outer cover was cut i can pull the wire through the wall.
The walls are stud walls if that is correct i mean not brisk more like plasterboard nailed to framework.
I have looked at the link supplied about but her in doors dont like them.
If i could somehow move the light a little then i might be able to get a white connection block onto it but i think it is slim chance.

any other site you suggest ?

Sponsored Links
Give us an idea of the type of lights you would like or should I say SHMBO's likes.
If you can strip the cable back and get a joint on to it, it will be fine providing that the joint can be easily accessed for maintenance, inspection and testing.

If the wiring has no cpc, the boxes generally have insulating lugs so the screws do not come into contact with unearthed metalwork.

However, it's worth confirming this.

If the wiring has no cpc, the boxes generally have insulating lugs so the screws do not come into contact with unearthed metalwork.

However, it's worth confirming this.

My experience is that insulated screw lugs are very much a rarity. But I must confess I don't get involved with much domestic work these days.

Hello,
Sorry for delay been away with work.
I have bought some double insulated non earth wall lights.
On the box it shows a square inside a square & no earth wire is present.
Having read my post again it was not clear so here is the correct picture.
Wires from wall are in a grey outer sheath with red & black wire and a earth wire which has been cut off .
Wire at the switch has an earth and is connected.
So whoever installed the lights just cut the earth right back.
I can now see the earth wire at the wall but having now bought lights thats require no earth i will continue to fit them.
My question is on the end of the red & black wire is a clear plastic connector,the type with the screw down through the top.
Is it ok to connect the two wires from the lamp & then tape this connector up and push it back into the wall.
As mentioned the wall is not brick but plasterboard etc.
I did look at a chocbox but was to big for where the light is mounted.
Just asking before i continue.

Sorry yes a terminal block,you buy say 10 in a strip and cut them off.
I asked as i did not know if anything would happen should a wire come out what with the plasterboard etc around it.

Like this.
WALLWIRE.jpg
[/img]

Wires from wall are in a grey outer sheath with red & black wire and a earth wire which has been cut off .
Wire at the switch has an earth and is connected.
You mean that it's connected at the switch end.

That's all you know right now.

Do you think you should be trusting your life to someone who was so ignorant and incompetent that they did what they did to the cable at the wall lights? How can you be sure that they did it properly everywhere else?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back