wall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I am due a rewire and need to chase out the walls for wall lights.

I am hoping they will be controlled from the main switch by the door.

I don't want to dig to deep in a long line as the walls are bad and the cavity is exsposed when i put a back box in ( so needing to rebuild it back with concrete)

So If only one run of wire is going down what is the minimum depth I can chisel out Unless it would be 2 runs and so on.

thank for any advice
OJ

Sponsored Links
As long as you run in a straight line vertically or horizontally between a visible accessory or from the ceiling, then you need only chase in as deep as you see fit. Deep enough to be able to place a piece of capping over the cable(s) would be best.

thanks sparky

Do wall lights normaly have only one wire from the contol switch on the wall and not 1 in and out like a ring.? im having 2 in each room but with a switch for each.

If you're swapping like for like then I don't know what you have already, but the easiest way to wire wall lights is a single cable PER LIGHT from the switch. This avoids two cables being present at a wall light which can be really fiddly to wire in. So you only have one cable in each chase going to the light. You need to have a live and neutral supply to the switch though. Another way is to use a double switchline from a ceiling rose to the switch with individual cables running from the rose to the wall lights. Best ask your electrician how he's going to do it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back