Wall Mounted Bathroom Mixer Tap - Leak Urgently Needs Fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there guys

Can any of you help me with the following problem?

In my bathroom I have a shower with a mixer tap that is built into the wall. It is leaking water really badly but I can't see any way to access the interior of it. I assume that inside there must be a washer that needs to be replaced to stop the water flow.

I haven't any experience of this type of mixer tap, but would describe it as follows: It has a single on / off control, about 4" in diameter that controls the flow. It has a lever underneath and behind the on / off control that regulates the hot and cold mixture. In the centre there is a single brass pin with a hole drilled in it, but no evidence of a thread, either internally or externally on the pin. This pin is mounted inside a serrated hole, that appears designed to take a tool, but which tool do I need to get in there, if that is the place that it undoes?

I hope the pictures below help (and that the links work; I’ve not tried to upload anything like this before!)

Can anyone help me with advice on how to get inside this tap, which tool or tools I’ll need to open it and how to go about fixing this leak once I get it apart? Any help with this would be really appreciated as the way this is leaking at the moment I’m singly responsible for West London’s next water shortage, and would like to stop feeling so guilty about it!

Thanks in anticipation of your help

[i

Mixer Tap

Centre of Mixer Tap - Is this where the beast gets unscrewed?

Hot / Cold control underneath and behind the on/off control

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Looks like an Aqualisa classic aquavalve

You need a new cartridge. Check out the shower doctor website for very useful exploded diagrams and to order spares.

Looks like an Aqualisa classic aquavalve

You need a new cartridge. Check out the shower doctor website for very useful exploded diagrams and to order spares.

Elkato

Thanks! Your advice is brilliant, as I've realised after looking at the Shower Doctor website, that I have one of these cartridges to hand. This is my partner's house and I found it in her garage some time ago, but didn't know what it was (neither did she). From the handbook for the cartridge I can tell it's an Aquvalve 200 /400.

Having read through the handbook for the filter, I realise that the front is a cover that just pulls off as well, so I don't need a tool to take it off as I assumed.

Thanks once again. I'll go and turn off the water supply now and have ago at it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back