wall mounted switch for water pump... is this normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a switch on the wall in my hallway which supplies electrical power to my water pump.

Before I bought the flat, I rented it and the land lady told me to never leave the switch on unless I needed the pump.

I'm about to replace this pump and was wondering, do I really need this switch or should I simply supply power to the pump directly and let it do it's thing whenever?

What have you all seen out there?

Sponsored Links
That rather depends what water the pump pumps where!

I think the landlady was right. Never, ever turn the pump on unless you actually need the pump. Sound advice.[/b]

Sponsored Links
If the property starts sinking, turn the pump on fast :LOL:

kevplumb said:
this thread wouldnt have anything to do with this one woild it

Yes, this is the same pump. To install the new one, I'm wondering if I should keep this switch or just wire it directly. Sounds like it's up to preference, though I haven't ever seen a switch in any of my friends' houses which use pumps.

Sounds like u got a boiler which runs ur hot water off gravity.When u want heating u switch the pump on.Was there once a solid fuel boiler in the property?

fitz1 said:
Sounds like u got a boiler which runs ur hot water off gravity.When u want heating u switch the pump on.Was there once a solid fuel boiler in the property?

There's a boiler for the central heating for the block of flats I'm in. However, the pump I have pumps from my hot water cylinder (heated by an indirect coil flowing with central-heating hot water) and my cold water storage. Because it's one level flat, and all water pressure comes from the cold water storage tank, I need a pump in my flat to get adequate pressure.

Because my fancy new shower is a fixed head located higher than the CWS, I have a negative head situation... hense the new pump which operates in negative head settings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back