Wall mounted TV cable management

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening Everyone,

I am new to DIY and have just moved into my first home. I am looking to mount my TV on the wall which looks easy to do but I want to make sure I run the cables down the wall safely especially the power cable. I have seen kits like this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerBridge...F8&qid=1434136254&sr=8-5&keywords=powerbridge

It looks good but seems expensive. Could I have some advise please.

Thanks in Advance
Danny

Sponsored Links
that would be good.......if you lived in america.

The two choices are

1) use surface trunking designed for the purpose (looks a bit naff but really easy)
2) chase the walls out, put some euro module plates in the wall top and bottom and probably some sockets too.

Option 2 requires you to know how to terminate cat5e, coax etc, and be able to chase walls out etc

I would recommend option 1

Thank you for the first reply. I can do wiring etc if necessary it is mainly the power cable as I heard I cannot run the tv power cable behind the wall due to fire safety rules?

Total lies. Almost every house in the country has wires in the walls

You do need to follow the safe zones though and ensure your wiring is compliant with regulations.

How many sockets would you want behind the tv? One twin? And do you already have sockets where you would want your media cabinet to be?

Sponsored Links
Oh thats a relief I was told I had to use a special power cable for behind the wall instead of the standard TV one. I have power outlets at the bottom of the wall where the media unit will sit. So am I correct in thinking I can literally just run the standard TV cable down the wall and this wont break house insurance rules etc?

Nope you can use standard twin and earth. So long as your work is safe and complies with wiring regs no issues at all

do follow these zones for 230v though

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:walls

I would stick to them for extra low volt (tv) stuff too - no harm

You will need to ensure before you spur off the socket underneath the tv that it is not already a spur and is actually part of the ring main.

I think there's a misunderstanding developing.

The power cable (cord) which came with your TV shouldn't be run in the wall - you should run twin&earth cable up to your TV and then connect the cord via a socket or fused spur

Am I being thick here?

AFAIK, the OP will have a wall-mounted TV on a wall which has an electrical socket at the base of the wall. Under the TV will be the OP's media unit. The OP wants to connect the TV power lead but it's not long enough to reach the socket.

Can the OP not just use a lead connector and connect her existing TV power cable to a further length of cable and plug? The connector won't be seen as it will be behind the media unit.

:?:

Lived here all my life. I am even more confused now :( So I buy that cable but connect at either end to what?

Another way to go is to create a fake wall on which you fit your screen, soundbar etc., with all wiring and sockets hidden in the gap between the false wall panel and the real wall surface.

The panel can be mounted on vertical 50x50mm battens firmly fixed to the real wall which will allow plugs and cables to be dropped down behind to the sockets and other connections such as internet, satellite, cable, power extension adapters etc., perhaps with a removable panel section to allow access to wall mounted sockets etc.

Mounting the screen to a firmly fixed panel is less problematic than accurately aligning wall mountings on some older wall surfaces, with crumbling plaster, and soft or hard, brick or block substrates. Holes to allow plugs and cables to be passed through can be cut with a suitable hole saw, plunge cutter or jigsaw, hidden behind the outline of the screen.

The whole panel and other woodwork can be decorated to either blend in or stand out from the rest of the room and subtle hidden LED lighting can be added to enhance the room ambience.

It would be a project to learn and hone those fledgeling DIY skills, and there would be plenty of help and ideas here and elsewhere on the internet. Search for "false wall for tv" to see some examples.

What is the room behind the wall. ?

An option is to make a hole in the wall behind the TV and run the cables behind the wall.

As to the power lead being too short why not buy a longer one, most likeky the plug to the back of the TV is a standard type and leads with these plugs can be bought in computor shops.

Lived here all my life.
screenshot_536.jpg

:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back