Wall/plasterboard gaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed some gyproc triline but have ended up with some gaps of around 1.5cm in places around the edges of the wall where the walls are not straight. What's the best way to fill these? I have some gyproc acrylic sealant but will this fill large gaps like this? I also have some wickes ready mixed plaster, will this do the job?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sorry but 1.5cm is too wide a gap to just scrim & skim even on conventional Wallboard. You should have fitted the boards as tight as possible to maintain the integrity of the TriLine in doing its job but since you have what you’ve got, pack put the gap with Bonding plaster as deep as you can (skip the Wickes readymix) & then skim.

Sponsored Links
The gap is filled with the skim while skimming and the mesh stops it cracking

Fine for small gaps of a few mm but with a gap of 15mm, I would pre-fill, tape & skim; just forcing Multi in there is not a good idea.

I'd fill it out gap first prior to fitting tapes you'll find the tape will sometimes disappear in to joint if gap is too big, ideally try filling out with plaster or jointing compound then sand it down then apply self adhesive scrim tape prior to plastering. This will avoid the potential of an uneven surface if you do it all in one go.

ideally try filling out with plaster or jointing compound then sand it down then apply self adhesive scrim tape prior to plastering.
No need to sand it, as long as it's filled flush & taped the skim will sort it out. I would always use Bonding but I’ve nearly always got some handy; buy a small bag of one coat plaster if you prefer but I wouldn’t advise using filler or jointing compound. Give the strip a couple of coats of 1:4 PVA/water mix or it’ll suck the life out of the strip of plaster over it well before you’ve finished.

Sorry but 1.5cm is too wide a gap to just scrim & skim even on conventional Wallboard. You should have fitted the boards as tight as possible to maintain the integrity of the TriLine in doing its job but since you have what you’ve got, pack put the gap with Bonding plaster as deep as you can (skip the Wickes readymix) & then skim.

the gap is only where the board butts with a bit of the wall which is uneven. Not about to buy another expensive board to fill a 15mm gap! Can you use bonding to fill the whole gap 52mm deep?

Cheers for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back