Wall Plate a course too high; Help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
working on a newbuild housing estate & tbh i think ive made a mistake; the wallplate looks as if it should have been sat on 2 course of thermal bricks rather than a course of block. Joiners put the roof trusses up today so its a bit late.. has anybody with site experience come across this issue before?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
the roof is effectivly 75mm i was just wondering if this is a major issue or not.

Its not likely to be a issue, It could be higher than planning consent, but 75mm is too hard to prove given its measured from ground level.

Are you the brickie?

Sponsored Links
75mm too high?
Who would even notice?

Somebody with an axe to grind, like a disgruntled neighbour.

There have been cases of new builds having to be knocked down because they are a few feet in the wrong position. Im not sure 3" is enough to be 'wrong'

Somebody with an axe to grind, like a disgruntled neighbour.

There have been cases of new builds having to be knocked down because they are a few feet in the wrong position. Im not sure 3" is enough to be 'wrong'
Yes, those cases of buildings being one-storey higher, or a few feet out and having to be demolished are well-known because they are so rare.
LPAs are given guidelines on enforcement, and one of them is:
'enforcement may not be approriate for a minor or technical breach where no harm has occurred'
I think 75mm higher than approved would be considered minor.

I guess it’s most likely to get ‘noticed’ if there are several houses of the same style, and one of them has a different visible gap between upstairs window top and soffit. Possibly.

If it's a housing estate then of course an extra 75mm above the window frames on one house will be noticed. :rolleyes:

The chippies putting in the frames or fitting the fascia and soffit will notice.

...although could be masked by slightly deeper fascia and/or soffit overhang?
It would still stick out a mile.

But on new build estates, they have a lorry load of the same fascia delivered so the site manager is going to know pretty soon.

And when he gets the plasterers invoice for 8 extra m2, he might wonder why.

ours was the other way round - a course or two short, that was a bit draughty to be honest
upload_2018-8-23_0-5-11.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back