Wall plate dimensions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to maximise the pitch on a single story extension. I've looked but can't find what the minimum height of a roof plate is. Default I was going with 100mm but can this be less?

170 x 45 rafters are being birdsmouthed onto it. Extension is 4m out by 7m wide.

Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about the wall plate proper - i.e. the one that is bedded on top of the block-work?

If so, it needs to be a minimum of 50mm deep (trusses) really. Proprietary tanolised wall plate is 75mm deep and is better suited for a cut roof.

Are you talking about the wall plate proper - i.e. the one that is bedded on top of the block-work?

If so, it needs to be a minimum of 50mm deep (trusses) really. Proprietary tanolised wall plate is 75mm deep and is better suited for a cut roof.

yes that’s the one

do you mean deep as in width or height? I’m querying height - want to to be as low as possible.

If you are going to dive in a swimming pool and someone says its only 3' deep don't do it! they don't mean its 3' wide!

Sponsored Links
25mm plate

Lower the wall

Notch the rafters
Thanks Woody.

Rafters will be birdmouthed.
Don't really want to lower the wall as it has bifolds and don't really want to lose the height.
25mm - doesn't sound like there are any regs around the depth of the wall plate so will have to think about what is acceptable.

Lowering the wall to fit a deeper plate makes no difference to the lintel height.

Why can't you raise the other end of rafters?

Window sills mate limit rafters placement.

lowering wall does effect lintel when I already as low as I can go to the lintel (200mm height 3300mm long). Can’t find a 90 cavity lintel that is lower than that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back