Wall plate onto lightweight blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Just after a bit of advice/confirmation.

We have haves a 2 storey side extensions.
For the 1st floor I want to find the finished floor lever of the current house - transfer that point to the outside mark it etc. etc.
The span is 4m
Fix wood wall plates to the existing side wall and to the new extended wall then fit floor joist with hangers to that.
MY questions are really - when fixing the wall plates (44x195) to the wall what is best to use?
On the existing is 100mm brick 75mm cavity which will now be an internal wall so cavity bridging not an issue. (at least I don't think)
On the new thermalite wall, 100mm block 100mm cavity.
I don't want to drill all the way through the blocks.
I've read from multiple places either resin in some studs and bolt the wall plate to that.
Even seen advise of brown rawl plugs - this seems a bit lightweight to me
How about anchor bolts?

Have yet to ask BC - he's not the most approachable.
Any advice greatly apricated.

Sponsored Links
Assuming my terminology is not confused if it's a wall plate normally you would strap it down, but it sounds like a ledger board(?) you are dealing with, and in our case the builder did use resin and threaded rod due to the soft blocks.

Last edited:
sorry yes, wall plate is the topping off per'say.
Had not seen the term ledger board anywhere, thanks for that

Sponsored Links
Yeah on hindsight i am not totally sure of the right word, too early on a Saturday! But anyway you've got my answer:)good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back