Wall plug hole keeps crumbling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to put shelves up in my living room, and am having a bit of a problem.

I bough 8mm wall plugs like the one shown in this photo: http://www.rapidonline.com/netalogue/photos/M076100W01.jpg

I also bought a masonry drill bit with the size recommended on the wall plugs packet.

The problem I'm having is that some of the holes I have made are crumbling when I put the plug in and try to put the screw in, so there isn't a nice "grip" onto the wall. And in other places, although the plug goes in very easily, I am unable to put the screw in when it gets to the end, around 8mm sticks out. :\

I tried filling the hole with polyfilla (although from Googling, I see that this was a bad idea?), and then drilling through that the next day but I'm still having the same problems.

I'm guessing that the place where I have drilled is between the bricks since the few holes in which the plugs and screws both go in fine produced orange brick dust, and the holes that are spinning or the screw is sticking out gave grayish dust.

What would be the best solution for this?

I want to do this without damaging the wallpaper too.... it took forever getting that up last week! (I'm horrible at this stuff!) :'(

Regards

Hamzah

Edit: Oops! I appear to have posted into the wrong category! Sorry! :S

Sponsored Links
You might get replies if you post the question in the correct forum, try building, or general DIY.

Wotan

Simplest solution is to squirt some no-nails type adhesive into the hole, then push the plastic sleeves in and leave to set for a couple of days before putting the screw in

Also, before screwing the fixture, (shelf, picture, 60" plasma telly), to the wall just drive the screw in and then back it out.
This will open the rawplug into the aperture and so aid 'grip'.
You will then find it easier to screw the fixture up.

Sponsored Links
Go out and buy some ordinary wall plugs the one in your photo is a frame fixing and unsuitable for shelf fixing. ;)
If the screw will not go all the way in then you have not drilled deep enough, should drill 10mm deeper than plug to ensure grip.
Should be using a 8mm bit into sound walls and a 7-7.5mm bit in poor walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back