wall prep for rendering a few pointers please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all.
i have a a section of house wall that needs rendering. roughly 2M X 8M
the house is fully render except for the gable side where it is only rendered on the ground floor.
the render was in a real state so it was removed.

the render came off well but revealed the brickwork beneath to be 90% blown bricks. some upto 40mm back from the face.

do i go round filling all the holes/blown brick in first. in stages, slowley getting it back to level? what the maximum depth i can have of render? i think its going to need 4 coats of so to get nice and flat.

also what sort of time should be left in between coats?
thanks for all your help
ian

Sponsored Links
Hose the wall down, just go along and fill the holes first just before you scratch coat, with the same mix,
some like to top coat the next day, some the same day, some a week later.

thanks.
is soaking the waa down with water good enough, no need for pva or sbr?

is it ok the fuly fill the holes in one hit as some are really deep or should i build them up slowly
tahnks
ian

Sponsored Links
a coat of sbr will do no harm! block the deeper cavities out in a couple of coats, if you go too heavy the mortar will slump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back