Wall Prep in Bathroom Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Well we are thinking of tiling our bathroom soon on all walls floor to celling and I wanted to know what sort of tile size should I be looking at for a small bathrrom.

Room Width is 1m 67cm x 2m 48cm with a height of 2m 32cm. I have worked it out at around 20sqm without taking the window or door out or counting for some pipe boxing I am looking to build just so I get an idea of tile prices.

2 Walls are internal studded and 2 others are external walls with plaster. I need to remove some of the plaster before hand and re apply as some pulled off when I removed the wallpaper. so not sure how good the walls are and what sort of weight they can take.

The walls had wallpaper / paint on before and this has been removed.

What is best way to prep for the above

Chris

Sponsored Links
How bad is the wall....you can usually prime the walls with an acrylic primer and skimm it with a cement based tile adhesive....(within reason)...

As for tiles selection that's your call mate..

Hi

Well I have been around all the walls with a level and some parts on the walls have a few mm gap between the wall and level so I guest its not dead flat.

On the external wall some plaster has blown so someone suggest I go around with a knife then remove the blown plaster and re plaster that area which is about 1m x 1m.

When I talk about the walls not being great I mean they had been painted then wall paper over before hand which I have removed last year and some holes from where shelfs had been mounted

Some people told me if the tile is to heavy and the wall is not great then they can fall off?? but I don't want to have the walls skimmed again.

Chris

A few mm will be fine your tile adhesive will fill this in when you comb the wall...

The area that's 1x1m how deep is this area...

Tap around the walls with your knuckles you will want to hear a solid noise,...

If you hear a hollow noise then these areas will need to be removed and repaired...

As for weight limits...plastered walls will take up to 22kg per m2 inclusive with adhesive and grout...unplastered walls 32kg inclusive...

Sponsored Links
Hi

I will give it a go and work around the wall next week to see if its hollow.

Does it matter if the walls had been papered in the pass and there might be some wallpaper addesive on the walls still.

Not sure what the internal walls are but they are studded I think with a lite skim over them

Chris

A few mm will be fine your tile adhesive will fill this in when you comb the wall...

The area that's 1x1m how deep is this area...

Tap around the walls with your knuckles you will want to hear a solid noise,...

If you hear a hollow noise then these areas will need to be removed and repaired...

As for weight limits...plastered walls will take up to 22kg per m2 inclusive with adhesive and grout...unplastered walls 32kg inclusive...

You will need to remove any wallpaper paste from the walls..

If your internal walls are studded,...then it will/should be plasterboard..and as you have said...had a plaster skimm applied to it..

How do I remove this. Just sanding the walls or clean warm water and a scrapper and maybe sugar soap

For screw holes where things have been fixed to the wall is it ok just to fill with normal filler?

The for the plaster I have to replace remove blown plaster,PVA and re plaster

Chris

You will need to remove any wallpaper paste from the walls..

If your internal walls are studded,...then it will/should be plasterboard..and as you have said...had a plaster skimm applied to it..

Yes elbow grease to remove...

Screw holes just leave....

Re:plaster.....how big an area and how deep is it....?

This plaster area...is it on a solid wall or studded plasterboard wall...?

Hi

the plaster area I would say no more than 1m x 1m on external wall not studded. I have not removed it yet but someone suggested I score further out than the blown part then peel it off.

Chris

Yes elbow grease to remove...

Screw holes just leave....

Re:plaster.....how big an area and how deep is it....?

This plaster area...is it on a solid wall or studded plasterboard wall...?

to answer your original question, either a very small tile (near mosaic) or a very large tile (fewer groutlines) are usually suggested for small rooms.

Also if you can use the same tile on floor and walls can help make the room look less small.

Ok
Remove this area off plaster then let us know how deep it is....

Then we will take it from there chrisb1357.

Ps
Chrisb1357

Your getting me dizzy tonight with all these threads...... :LOL: :LOL:

Hi all,

Well this morning I started to remove the blown plaster. I scored around the area's in the middle but half the other plaster decided to fall off the wall which I guest its a good job I did not try and tile over before hand.

Now where do I go from here. DO i just remove the rest of the top layer of plaster skim for the whole wall as the rest just seems to crumble off and have the whole wall skimmed then maybe tile or paint.

8608765403_e207feb753_b.jpg

Take the rest of the plaster skim off...
Then prime the render with sbr and water 3:1 ratio
Then just use a quickset render over it...bal/mapei/ardex mfr do these types off render...

Tile away after set...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back