Wall Prep Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping to tile my bathroom in the coming week or so, but I'm not sure what to do with regards to prepping the wall. When the old tiles were removed, it appears to have pulled off some of the finishing plaster (although it's a very thin layer). This has exposed a very coarse layer of plaster. Is it OK to tile over this once removing the flaked thin layer as seen in the picture?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
As a complete amateur, and probably incompetent danger to myself and others around me, I would just whack on a skim coat of plaster to make it look pretty/not as terrible, then have a glass of wine or two, then bang on the tiles once the skim coat was dry. In my EXTREMELY limited experience if you try and use grout as a surface leveller you end up with a tiled surface that looks like something is trying to escape from behind it.

Up to a point the rougher the surface the better for tile adhesion. I'd defo avoid skimming if I were you.

From your pic it looks as though the surface beneath the top coat is ideal for tiling.

take a scraper and remove all loose skim plaster, use tile adhesive to build level up when tiling as it does not look deep, what size tiles are you planning on using, size and weight of tile dictates the type of adhesive to use, therefore ya might need to prime the walls

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back