wall socket facial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, i have replaced some old wall socket with some new ones i have screwed them back to the wall flush and they don't move but the screws dont tightern is there anything i can do to the screws to make them tightern up i dont really wnt to replace the back boxes.

cheers :)

Sponsored Links
the socket are tight enough to use but after awhile it would come away from the wall the screws dont catch enough to keep them tight.

Are the screws too long, or the wrong thread?

How old are the back boxes?

Sponsored Links
i would say they are the standard size screws, the boxes are old but i want to try any short cuts before replacing them as that would mean cutting away plaster to get them out :) but i no thats prob going to be the answer.

If they are old boxes then they may use a different sized screw - it was a BA size which I'm pretty sure was larger than the current M3.5.

Unless you can use the old screws through your new sockets you will have to replace the boxes.

There is a bodge that people sometimes try which is to squash the lugs a bit with a pair of pliers to make the hole oval and small enough in one direction for the screw to grip, but replacing would be preferable.

I don't suppose the boxes have got 2 adjustable lugs, have they?

Get new bolts with nuts. Glue nuts to lugs and screw in. Make sure bolts not too long or they'll bend.

Check the screws first, has the thread been stripped?
If so, throw the screws away, get new ones, re-thread the box holes with a 3.5 tap (re-threader), fit screws. Make sure screws are not too long or too short.

If the holes on the lugs are stripped, you could try what Ban has suggested; crush the lugs slightly so the holes are slightly distorted. Use pliers or similar. Then re-thread with a 3.5 mm tap. Check screws are not stripped. Fit screws.

A 3.5 mm tap or re-threader can be bought at a good electrical wholesalers, as can the screws.

wall socket facial

Sounds like a very dubious p*rn film.... :confused:

Seriously, you can use a 3.5 rethreader or if the holes are too big for 3.5, get a 4mm tap and then use 4mm machine thread screws. You can get them with a CS head that will recess into accessories, rather than the pan head that won't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back