Wall Starters or debonded wall ties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a double storey side extension, the plans specify movement joints where the extension meets the house. Is this required or can I just use standard wall starter kits?

Sponsored Links
Do you think the movement joint on the plans is for some sort of vertical movement tie rather than horizontal movement joint. Is there any problems with cracking using wall starters?

I'm not sure if they are needed though. Is it common place to just use standard wall starter kits?

Sponsored Links
Normally standard kits, but you need to check with the designer whether slips are required.

Thanks, it's quite difficult getting a response from him now. I can't see why slip ties would be needed, cavity wall construction brick and block on to 1930s brick and block house.

Can be if a raft foundation is used next to a strip foundation and some movement is allowed for.

It would be a crap designer that specifies a movement joint instead of a tied connection. Perhaps he just doesn't know the difference but actually meant to specify a flexible tied joint to allow for movement?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back