Wall ties in door way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm blocking an external doorway, double skin of block with cavity, and I'm wondering what the best combo of wall starters and ties is.

If I use wall starters for both skins, will I need to tie the skins together?

Or would it be easier to do it another way?

If I use wall starters, will I need to do them for the full height, or could I get away with just using them part of the way (so I don't need 4 kits)

Sponsored Links
I’d say full height starters for both skins and the usual spacing of cavity wall ties throughout. Virtually no effort involved in either of those either so hardly worth considering skimping

I’d say full height starters for both skins and the usual spacing of cavity wall ties throughout. Virtually no effort involved in either of those either so hardly worth considering skimping
Part of my reasoning was that I have never used wall ties before. What's the "usual" spacing? And are the fish tail ones suitable? And do I just cut insulation to fit between them?

Sponsored Links
Can I use celotex? Got a load left over from the ceiling. Do I just cut to suit? Do I need to tape the joints?

8 fish tail ties for the outside. Same for the inside or 8 x 4" nails.

No wall ties required.

Celotex will need to be fixed to the inner leaf to give a minimum 25mm air cavity.

Do you mean the fish tail ties that I screw into the existing wall? And not between the 2 leafs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back