Wall starting from steel uprights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

A friend has asked me to lay some blocks for a small barn on his farm. The building uses vertical steels (rsj's) to support the roof. The blocks in theory aren't structually relevant to the building, more to enclose the sides and keep the elements of the cows!!
The back and front walls are easy as the blocks can be slotted into the recess in the rsj's. On the sides its a bit more tricky. I really don't want to drill the rsj's to fit a conventional wall starter kit, i've tried welding but the steels require so much heat to get penetration that it just burns straight through the tie.
So any ideas? any super thick wall starter kits that will take welding?not bother with them?

Cheers zeb.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You can easily drill 8mm with a cordless and good quality bit. Fix wall starter with self tappers in a small pilot hole. Using a starter with sliding ties will minimise cracking.

Yes, a cartridge gun is the answer to fixing into these columns

However, I'm not sure if you can just go and hire them nowadays, As you may need a valid training certificate? I did hear that it was something similar for actually buying the nails/cartridges, but not sure about that either.

We used to use red cartridges and 25mm nails on the Hilti guns. No probelm, no fuss, no time wasted. Cover your ears though :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back