Wall switch timer - wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll probably get shot down in flames for asking so go easy on me! I don't pretend to be any sort of expert, other than a ameteur diy'er..

I bought a wall switch timer that directly replaces a light switch. Thought this would be easy enough to connect.

My house is relatively new (12 years old), behind each light switch there is an earth and two red wires which I assume are live and switch live (or load).

The wiring diagram is as follows:

But the switch doesnt work, there is a LCD display for programming, but surely the switch would either need a neutral or its own battery for power? There's no mention of a battery in the instructions. I just don't get it???

Your help would be appreciated..

Mac

Sponsored Links
The timer would be powered by a small current that flows in the load. Assuming the load is an incandescent lamp, that small current would not be enough for the lamp to light. If you've fitted a compact fluorescent or LED lamp, it's higher impedance will not allow sufficient current to flow to energise the timer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back