wall ties near reveal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having a bit of brick work done to fill in on 8 ft patio door, been in the lecky trade for years so have seen a fair bit and picked up a fair bit of knowledge so i was surprised to see the reveal ( having new door in new location) does not have wall ties nearest one is about 600 away now i know they cant be on the edge due to closers but 600 seemed a bit far away , so far only 6 courses up
does this sound iffy ???

ta

Sponsored Links
The wall ties should not be more than 225mm from the edge (reveal) of the opening, and should be no more than 300mm apart vertically (ie every 4th brick course).

The wall ties should not be more than 225mm from the edge (reveal) of the opening, and should be no more than 300mm apart vertically (ie every 4th brick course).
Every fourth does not work in courses with the block so every third brick makes more sense. Even more baffling when using imperial brick facing with metric block!

Every 4th course used to work when LBC commons etc. were used on the inner skin.

Sponsored Links
ties were done every 6 courses in diamond shape, got them to put extra ones in by reveal

Every 4th course used to work when LBC commons etc. were used on the inner skin.
:!:
I'm guessing you're too young to have used bricks on the inner skin. When the U values changed mid 70's AAC blocks where normally used. Before that AAC were someimes used, but other blocks like clinker or bricks were more common. With brickwork the regs were every 4th at openings. Could throw some bricklayers used to building in brickwork when they had to use blocks.

What is the point advising someone of a practice that was relevant 45 years ago. Whilst i find the history lesson interesting it has no relevance now.

Every fourth course does not work - TODAY.

Every 3 or every 6 however does.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back