wall ties

Discussion in 'Building' started by Zehroni, 4 Nov 2019.

1. Zehroni

Zehroni

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    the bricklayer who is doing my extension uses wall ties instead of following the wall when it changes directions. for example; if the wall goes into two right angles in a short space, he uses wall ties instead of meshing the bricks. when I asked him, his answer was the wall ties much more stringer then meshing bricks and he can not mesh the brick in a short space due to the fact that they get in the way of his profiles. he also stated that is a common practise in bricklaying. is what he says true?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes if he graduated from the "Shiite School of Bricklaying"

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. No it should be bonded in.

5. Zehroni

Zehroni

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    thanks for the reply, what are the consequences in terms of structural issues. does this mean my two story extension is not safe?
    frankly, very worried. my extension now reached the roof level. and he has done it in more than one wall. also he has forgotten to putr them in about 3 metre section wall altogether and when I reminded him he screwed 180mm masonry screws (window farms) into the mortar of the outside skin and he also said, these are better than ties.

6. Zehroni

Zehroni

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    what does this mean? does mean it is ok to use ties or not

7. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have never seen brickwork returns not bonded on any site Ive visited. If his profiles are in the way he needs to move them -they are meantbto be a help not a hindrance.

Does he come to work on a horse?

8. It means -
    which is confirmed by -
    Sorry, can only tell you how it should be done. You could mention it to Building Control.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can tie in walls - not with ties but with mesh. This can be acceptible or even be desirable for a few reasons, however doing it because "a brick gets in the way of my profile" is certainly not one of them.

10. Sponsored Links
  11. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How can a bricklayer forget wall ties -its what they do all day long. I dont suppose he forgets to put milk in his tea.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. and wear a big hat.

13. wall ties should be at 750mm centres horizontally,450mm vertically and staggered , in stainless steel. Are Building Control inspecting this work (they only inspect at stages of course ) but mention it to them.

14. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If he has missed out wall ties, has he done the cavity insulation - it is 450mm high to conveniently fit between wall ties (450mm is 2 courses of blocks).

15. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think it would be hard to know because its not standard practice I doubt if its been tested.
    Wall ties clearly wont be as strong as a brickbond.

Its hard to know what to say, its tempting to say it should be done again, but 2 storeys is a lot of brickwork, however the muppet has only got himself to blame.

Is the job contracted to a builder or are you employing the brickie direct? -personally I cant see a builder allowing a subbie bricklayer to do such work -he wouldve been booted off site.

I do hope he wasnt a bricklayer from checkatrade or similar?

16. mikeey84

mikeey84

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    And another important question- how much have you paid him yet?

17. Zehroni

Zehroni

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    he works on priced job, 60p per brick and 1.6 per block. he gets his money after every day work cash, he does not wait until the following day