Wall tiles, do I work from the window or center line of wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fully tiling a wall in my bathroom that has a window that is off center of the wall.

Do I use the center line of the window and work outwards, so that the cuts around the window are even, but, cuts will be odd at the far edges of the wall?

Or ....

Do I work from the center line of the wall and work outwards, so that the cuts at the edges of the wall are even, but, cuts will be odd around the window?

Sponsored Links
Start from the center of the window generally,what size will the cuts be in the corners? You can start on the center line using the edge of the tile or the center of the tile,walk the tiles to the edges so you know accurately what the cuts will be.

There are guidelines, but at the end of the day I think a lot of it is down to personal preference.
I found if I centered on the window then I would have to cut stupid sized peices once I reached the wall, and I if started on the wall then got stupid sized peices at at least one side of the window.
I would recommend making yourself up a tile guide, simple a length of wood with the tiles marked on it (not forgetting spacers!), then just slide the piece of wood around a bit until you get to a state where you have reasonable cuts everywhere (if you can), or if not then go with what looks most balanced. Generally I would balance around the window for aesthetics so long as it won't cause you to cut slithers when you reach the walls :)

Try centre of the window first and see what cuts you will have at window and wall edges, as mentioned previously, dont forget you need NOT start a full tile from centre, you CAN start from the centre of the tile.

you got to mark it out and see what looks the best. 99.9 times out of a hundred it starting from the centre of the window as the window is a focal point in the room, and catches your eyes first

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back