Wall Units on which type of wall fixing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Howdens kitchen sat in my garage waiting to be fitted (by me....), I'm starting to plan the units.

The wall where I'll be attaching wall cabinets is a solid brick wall, I have attached 25mm battens with 350mm centers, onto which I intended to attach 12.5mm plasterboard (foil backing for insulation, 20mm foam between battens), but would this be adequate to attach 900mm tall wall cabinets to, or should I really use Ply as a backboard instead?

For me, the easiest solution is plasterboard, but would this be risky?

Appreciate your help!

Sponsored Links
Or alternatively can I just drill straight through the plasterboard and into the solid brick behind?

Or alternatively can I just drill straight through the plasterboard and into the solid brick behind?

That would be a much better solution. I am no kitchen fitter but I cannot imagine that plasterboard would be strong enough to hold the weight of 900mm wall cupboards (let alone their contents).

You wouldn't want to be rained upon by large jars of Nutella (closely followed by a cabinet weighing upwards of 10kg,) would you?

To be on the safe side I would go into Howdens (I've always found them very approachable) and ask their advice about how to fix the cabinets given that you want to line the wall first.

hanging rail is very handy for this sort of job. It is a formed and drilled steel strip in two or three metre lenths, onto which the hooks of the adjustable cabinet hangers fit. As it is so long you can fix it firmly to the wall, you are not obliged to put screws at the exact point where the corners of the wall cabinets are. You can subsequently lift the cabinets into place as convenient, and slide or lift them to new positions if you wish.

It comes galvanised, but you can paint it to blend in with the wall. In your case I would certainly screw it to the brickwork, perhaps using frame fixings.

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info.php?products_id=193&Name=Cabinet+Hanging+Rail+-+2.5mt.+-+Steel

Some people do put ply up behind the plasterboard, making it easy to fix things to the wall, but as you have a brick wall behind yours, I don't see that's necessary;

Sponsored Links
hanging rail is very handy for this sort of job. It is a formed and drilled steel strip in two or three metre lenths, onto which the hooks of the adjustable cabinet hangers fit. As it is so long you can fix it firmly to the wall, you are not obliged to put screws at the exact point where the corners of the wall cabinets are. You can subsequently lift the cabinets into place as convenient, and slide or lift them to new positions if you wish.

It comes galvanised, but you can paint it to blend in with the wall. In your case I would certainly screw it to the brickwork, perhaps using frame fixings.

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info.php?products_id=193&Name=Cabinet+Hanging+Rail+-+2.5mt.+-+Steel

Some people do put ply up behind the plasterboard, making it easy to fix things to the wall, but as you have a brick wall behind yours, I don't see that's necessary;

Thanks guys for your replies - these look ideal, infact the cabinets may have been supplied with these already as Howdens today informed me that fittings are provided within the cabinets...I hadn't realised lol!

I'll keep you updated.

the fittings usually supplied are little short bits of that channel, just enough to put a piece up in each corner, no-where near as handy for spreading the load or allowing you to move the cabs about. You will probably have to notch the back of the cabinet side panels so they fit tight to the wall, you'll see how, and you can pencil-mark during the trial fit.

the fittings usually supplied are little short bits of that channel, just enough to put a piece up in each corner, no-where near as handy for spreading the load or allowing you to move the cabs about. You will probably have to notch the back of the cabinet side panels so they fit tight to the wall, you'll see how, and you can pencil-mark during the trial fit.

Fair point, I'll invest in some metres of that railing then - its not cheap, but in the long run it'll be nice and easy for lining up the cabinets!

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back