Wallpaper being a 5HIT!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Can anyone please help me out here!

I have some paste the wall wallpaper that i am pulling my hair out trying to hang... it is a Homebase one -
http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/vymura-synergy-stripe-vinyl-wallcovering---plum-265122

I have done this wall already -

IMG_2064.JPG

You cant really see from this image but the joints are now VERY visible and its got more air pockets in than i would have liked; i am no decorator but i have plenty of experience of hanging paper, this one though... its a pain! it does feel good quality and isnt ripping etc but i just cant get it to hang without air pockets, most will push out but even when i peel it back and brush it in they appear!

The other issue is the joints, when i am hanging it the joints are perfect! seamless infact but by the time i cut the bottom and wipe clean the joints have pushed up together and stand off the wall, so either the paper is moving OR it is expanding... its not supposed to expand.

What can i do!? what am i doing wrong?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you read the instructions that have come with the wallpaper
Did you size the wall and let dry prior to hanging.
Depending on the type of paper you either Paste and hang straight away,

or you paste well allow to soak thoroughly,( I paste up to three pieces at one time, then hang the first pasted piece ) it also sounds as you are stretching the paper as you hang, once on the wall on shrinks

Vinyl wallpapers aren't supposed to expand & therefore don't need soaking.

It's possible that you're overworking the paper.

Slap it on, edge it up & brush it over once or twice . . . then leave it.

Let it expand & bubble up all it wants too, what matters is when it's dry.

Come back to that wall in the morning & you might be pleasantly surprised.

Are you sure that it is 'Paste the Wall' wallpaper - a quick look at one wallpaper site I used (link below) states the product it is Paste the Paper?

Most vinyls will expand, and it is generally just non-woven papers that are 'paste the wall', because they don't expand/shrink.

The fact that you have edges which push together and raise certainly suggests it is expanding. Also, the fact that you have air bubbles appearing, suggests the same thing, i.e., you haven't soaked the paper long enough to allow it to expand enough. Both of these problems, combined with the pasting information I have read, makes me think you may have made an error in believing you have a 'paste the wall' paper.

http://www.gowallpaper.co.uk/vymura...allpaper-in-plum-purple-and-silver-m0800.html

Sponsored Links
Paste the paper rather than the wall and let it soak for 7-10 mins before you hang, that way woven or not you'll be ok. Zinnser gardz will take care of any problems with porosity caused by the wall - as would sizing.

Most vinyl's i've hung have expanded, strange to say they're not supposed to, it's only non woven papers that don't shrink or expand. You also need specific paste's for papers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back