Wallpaper newbie - hanging on emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

House is only 2 yrs old, and has crown trade matt white emulsion on every wall! So I've been ordered to hang some wallpaper on "feature walls" :rolleyes:, starting with the kid's bedroom.

This morning, have given the wall a good going over with some sugar soap spray and a damp cloth (had lots of grubby hand marks from a 2 yr old!) - had lots of the white emulsion come off.

Father in law suggested I prime the wall with 123? But am I right in thinking I can just apply some Solvite wall sealer (size) to the wall today, then hang the paper tomorrow? Just intending to use Solvite adhesive, that ok?

The wallpaper is vinyl (it's for kid's room), I don't want to create any mould problems with it not being able to dry... any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Gareth

Sponsored Links
I expect the new house was painted with a non-vinyl emulsion. They are porous and allow plaster to dry out but are not durable. If it was me I would repaint over it with white vinyl emulsion, which will make it easier to redecorate in future. You can use size if you want but it will all have to be cleaned off before painting the wall next time you change your mind.

John is about right. the paint will be a contract matt that has no vinyl in it, hence why its coming off when you wipe it. You can either paper straight over it and it will be fine or as John suggests that you paint it with a decent Vinyl matt first to help when you next strip it and may want to repaint instead of papering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back