Wallpaper overlap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just bought a large wallpaper mural of new york city at night but the instructions say starting from the left, each panel must overlap by 1cm for picture to match up?? How can I get around this without seeing 5 unsightly seams?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I've just bought a large wallpaper mural of new york city at night but the instructions say starting from the left, each panel must overlap by 1cm for picture to match up?? How can I get around this without seeing 5 unsightly seams?
I would say "with great difficulty".

However, here is a suggestion.
Paste the first panel in position and, as soon as possible, paste the second panel and align it as carefully as possible.
While both panels are still damp, take a metal straight-edge and a sharp craft-knife and cut down the centre of the seam.
You should then be able to remove the 5 mm overlap from the second panel, peel back the edge of that panel, remove the 5 mm underlap of the first panel then re-smooth down and roller the second panel edge.

Repeat for the remaining panels.

If you run out of time at any point, make sure that the right hand edge of the remaining panel is not stuck down. When you resume, re-moisten this edge, stick it down and proceed with the next panel.

Make sure that you always use a very sharp blade and be very careful of your fingers.

(If you are going to have to cut off some of the top or bottom of these panels, you could cut off part of this from the first two before you start and practice on these samples before proceeding with the entire job.)

Good luck.

It is the correct way. Hanging patterned wallpaper can be horrible but with care and patience, @FrodoOne 's suggestion is spot on.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, that's exactly the way I had it in my head, I was just hoping for someone to come along with a miracle cheat lol

Best to have a practice first with some off cuts.

You can imagine what can go wrong, especially if the knife blunt, as you may end up tearing the paper.

You might as well use a long spirit level for your straight edge, to ensure your seems are perfectly straight and level.

You're going to enjoy this, aren't you?

No not really!!!! And the reviews on this wallpaper aren't great regarding thickness and durability!

I'd recommend a 9mm Olfa snap off blade knife (with their ultra sharp black blades).

https://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/o/OLFA_9MM_STANDARD_DUTY_SNAP-OFF_KNIFE_XA-1/

Their (black) blades are much sharper than the generic ones you find in many decorators' merchants.

As the blade becomes blunt, just snap the end off.

I wouldn't use a spirit level. The box section increases the risk of the blade wondering (especially if the wall is slightly bowed). I would use one of these wide taping knives. Lay it flat against the wall and it will follow the contours of the wall, and thereby reduce the risk of the loose paper ripping.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/marshalltown-stainless-steel-taping-knife-10/48250

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back