Wallpaper paste turns into water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Years ago if I left Solvite wallpaper paste (the powder that you mix with water) in a skuttle for a few weeks it would start to evaporate and I would need to add more water to thin it.

Now, if I leave it for a few weeks, it pretty much turns in to water. It is so thin that it soaks in to the lining paper before I get a chance to carry the paper from the pasting table to the wall.

If I want to use it, rather than binning it, I need to add more powder to it but even then, the consistency isn't as good as a newly mixed batch.

What gives? And I have also noticed that unopened bags that have been sitting around in dry rooms for a few years seem to "turn bad" even though their are no "best before" dates.

Did Solvite change the product in anyway?

Sponsored Links
I've noticed the issue as well. In the past, you could rewet it, but now, when it turns to water, you need to bin it and start with a new batch.

I had been meaning to raise this topic for quite some time but never got around to doing so.

It seems to be a long running issue

https://community.screwfix.com/threads/solvite-paste.165591/

For a long time I assumed that I was at fault for leaving the brush or roller in the container with the paste but it still goes runny even if i remove them.

I have emailed Henkel and provide updates once they reply. Ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back