Wallpaper problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Wonder if anyone could help. We bought some wallpaper Arthouse Suki Grasscloth effect. Same batch number and pattern numbers. It was a drop match pattern which was a bit of a task to match but finally got it all matched in the end and cut before installing.

All installed by a professional decorator and the end results are terrible. Can see the joins and seems throughout even though the pattern was matched.

Can anyone advise at all. I have attached images.
IMG_0723.jpg
IMG_0725.jpg
IMG_0724.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you've matched the pattern, then that's the effect.

I am not sure if the pattern has been matched or not. Sorry, it is difficult to tell from the photo. I can see that the repeat is supposed to be 32cm but I can't tell if it matches or if there is glue on the surface. I do not want to criticise the decorator and can only suggest that you email the makers of the paper.

Edit----------- I don't think that repeat has been matched properly.

If you have any paper to spare, offer it up to one of the seams and slide it up and down to see if you can make a better visual match.

Hi there. It is 100% matched. I was with the decorator when he matched it all. He cut one strip then matched to the first strip and dropped it down 32mm to get the odd pieces. So the 1st, 3rd and 5th strips were all cut the same and the 2nd, 4th, and 6th strip were all cut the same. He marked them up clear T1, T3, T5 etc.

Sponsored Links
If that is classed as a matchable wallpaper then the decorator has my sympathy.

The joins can be seen all right - but does it look like he's tried to butt the papers together nicely - so there is no gap, and no overlap?

Are the joints 'raised'?

And does the pattern match up exactly?

Paper can stretch slightly, so the pattern may not match precisely all the way down, has this happened?

I can see where the joins are, but whether it's the fault of the decorator, or just not very brilliant wallpaper, it's hard to say from the pictures.

Send more pictures, including round the door frames and skirting boards and all that, if only to get an idea of his standard of work.

There are several photographs of your exact wallpaper perfectly fitted in some kind of showroom display or something.

Annoyingly.

Whether the lighting was just right for these pictures, I don't know.

£30 a roll.

Attached are some more photos:

Attachments

• E8C149B2-9CB2-41DC-8DF2-BD8860FE900B.jpeg
    E8C149B2-9CB2-41DC-8DF2-BD8860FE900B.jpeg
    461 KB · Views: 249
  • D040318E-45A1-4A66-8511-6386823A92EA.jpeg
    D040318E-45A1-4A66-8511-6386823A92EA.jpeg
    453.1 KB · Views: 243
  • B5453973-9840-4A97-A4A1-2DF2DE28326C.jpeg
    B5453973-9840-4A97-A4A1-2DF2DE28326C.jpeg
    453 KB · Views: 242
Everything else looks good, he seems to be a good decorator from what we can see, but a very unfortunate choice of wallpaper perhaps.

How long ago was the paper put up?

It still needs to dry out thoroughly, so it may well look better after a week.

When you look at the joins CLOSE UP, are the joins butted up nicely, or are the gaps/overlaps/raised edges etc?

Hmm I just don’t think it will change. Decorator says it’s a strippable wallpaper so doesn’t absorb paste like other papers.

See edited post above.

Have you expressed your concerns to the decorator?

Best he has a look, soon.

He said because it was a grasscloth effect you may see the seems when installed but didn’t realise how bad they would be . Just don’t know what to do now

May have to be stripped and re done with another paper. I keep looking at it now. Does it look bad to you? Or is it just me being picky?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back