Wallpapering tips

I

imamartian

ok sorry, probably been done a few times !!!

but i'm about to wallpaper a single wall... 6m long, no windows, a few plug sockets and a 1m vertical piece of trunking.

So quite easy, i've done a fair bit of wallpapering as a diyer, but i'd like to get better..... So my questions are.... how do i paper a plug socket? how do i get a nice top edge against pretty rough coving? How do i deal with a screw in the wall (to hold a tv booster box)? And do i put skirting on after? or before (thinking decorators filler etc )?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You will need to neaten up the coving edge as best you can before papering. You can disguise imperfections to a certain degree by painting down onto the wall a little and trimming the paper as close as possible to the coving with a straight edge and sharp blade. This will give the illusion of a nice neat coving edge but only works with minor imperfections and cleaning up the edge first is the better option.
Also, it is best to fix the skirting first, fill it and then trim the paper along the top edge. Fitting the skirting afterwards always runs the risk of damaging the paper.
A single screw can often be left in situ (providing it doesn't protrude too far) and the paper can be carefully pressed over it without causing damage (Just make sure you remember it's there).

If you have a symmetrical patterned paper, you need to carefully measure to work out your starting point so that the pattern will be equal at both ends of the wall.

When it comes to the socket, you should remove the screws and loosen off the faceplate (after turning off at the mains). This should give you enough play to feed the whole thing through a cross cut in the paper. The cross should be smaller than the size of the socket faceplate and cut diagonally which will allow the socket to pass through easily. Once the socket is through, you can trim the excess paper to the size of the back box and refix the plate. The same method can be used for a surface mounted pattress but that will also need to be removed and fed through the hole with the faceplate. You could disconnect the cables altogether but this is not usually necessary.

If you intend to paper over the trunking, then, as it is only 1m long, and assuming it is vertical, you will need to put a seperate piece over it (pattern matching may be compromised somewhat) otherwise the paper will run out of line.

Excellent advice thank-you. Especially the suggestion to fit the skirting first... i'd be guaranteed to turn around with a length of skirting and whack the wall with it.

Also, what's the best way to trim the paper? I find that pushing the paper into the corner between wall and ceiling, or wall and skirting, rarely gives a sharp crease, more like a rounded channel. And Cutting with scissors is then a random affair.

Would a sharp blade cut through wet wallpaper? wouldn't it tear it?

Sponsored Links
You can cut wet wallpaper with a sharp blade fairly easily but the trick is to use a new blade. It's no good using one that's been used for cutting other things - even if it still seems very sharp, the edge will be slightly worn and will inevitably snag at some point. It's also important to keep your straight edge pressed firmly against the paper as you cut.

If you are not that confident with the blade, then a pair of paperhanging scissors can give an equally good finish. Press the paper into place along the edges with your paperhanging brush and then run the back edge of the scissors gently across the face (in the rounded channel you mention) of the paper. This will leave a faint mark that follows the contours of the wall, giving you the perfect line to cut along.

Obviously, well prepared edges will make life a lot easier.

any more thoughts on the plug socket v wallpaper challenge?

I find the best way is to remove the socket from the wall. Make sure the power is isolated. Push the wires in the back box and paper over it and carefully cut it out.

Once the wall / room is finished then carefully wire it back in.

a good way is to cover the socket with the paper and using your finger press the corner of the sockets through the wet paper. these marks will then be visible, then cut diagonally from corner to corner. then trim the top bottom and sides leaving about 2-3mm to tuck behind the socket. loosen off the socket and pass through paper then smooth off the paper and re tighten the socket.

One of the most important things here is to set out correctly, the last thing that you need is for the wallpaper to fall short of the switch/socket by a couple of mm.

Dec

One of the most important things here is to set out correctly, the last thing that you need is for the wallpaper to fall short of the switch/socket by a couple of mm.

Dec

correct, patching is a last resort. a little more time ensuring position is essential!

Patching should be avoided at all costs, even more so if it the paper has a pattern repeat.

Dec

Patching should be avoided at all costs, even more so if it the paper has a pattern repeat.

Dec

fully agree. taking time to ensure correct cuts is vital. hence why i stated "last resort" for patching. it never looks good! ;)

Have to agree guys. Patching is most definitely a last resort. Its all about the preparation. ;)

a good way is to cover the socket with the paper and using your finger press the corner of the sockets through the wet paper. these marks will then be visible, then cut diagonally from corner to corner. then trim the top bottom and sides leaving about 2-3mm to tuck behind the socket. loosen off the socket and pass through paper then smooth off the paper and re tighten the socket.

Agreed, but do not be tempted to run a knife over the fitting- i have seen soooooo many plates with scratch marks use scissors.

Also buy snap off blades. It is amazing how blunt stanley blades can become.

For a straight edge that you can cut against buy some of these

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/r/RODVS/

Lay it flat against the wall and run the knife along it. it helps to have a number of different sizes to accommodate bends in the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back