1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Wallpering a disaster. What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by ohdearme, 17 May 2020.

1. ohdearme

ohdearme

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I put some "paste the wall" wallpaper up on plasterboard and over lining paper with some blue stuff on it.

My papering in the past has been ok, this job is just awful, folds everywhere.
    Pics show the wall, please help.

Attached Files:

2. EddieM

EddieM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Eh? from your description and photos I can't make head nor tail of what you've done, or what you're trying to do, the photos look like partially stripped woodchip wallpaper?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The lining paper with blue stuff looks like woodchip paper with a blue vinyl silk emulsion on it . The plasterboard under looks like it's not been skimmed with plaster, just taped+jointed probably. The problem will be when you get to the paper that forms the plasterboard - if that gives up !!:( You could try using the paste to soften what's on the wall - seems to be doing that anyway, and care fully strip back to the plasterboard. Come back and tell how it goes. Then some sort of sealer to stabilize the plasterboard.

4. Johnny Allround

Johnny Allround

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well ohdearme, it needs stripping back to the plaster. Mist coat using some cheap matt emulsion and pva bond. Make good any blemishes that show up after the mist coat.From then on in it’s fairly simple, seal the whole room with a pva coat or size it. Line the room out and you should have the perfect finish to paint or paper on. Hope this helps.

5. ohdearme

ohdearme

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you so much. So start by stripping back to plaster and mist coat. Here we go

Certainly I will let you know, I need you !

Best

Alan

6. Johnny Allround

Johnny Allround

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Good luck take your time and do it right.

7. Sponsored Links
  8. ohdearme

ohdearme

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you Johnny, very aptly put as I have just stopped, exhausted. I have used a steam stripper and this one wall will take a week.

Any ideas how to do it better please? What do you do?

9. Johnny Allround

Johnny Allround

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How bigs the room? You could try wetting/ soaking all the surfaces that already have wallpaper/paint on . You can lightly gouge into the surface of the paper using the edge of your scraper to get water into the old paper. This is the hardest part of the job but is the most essential. Keep soaking and steaming it’s the only way. Sorry no shortcuts.

10. ohdearme

ohdearme

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    This is terrible news Johnny! Nevertheless I am giving it a try. How are you amusing yourself in these difficult times?

The room is 11' x 9'

Keep well and kind of you to reply promptly

Alan

11. Johnny Allround

Johnny Allround

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry Alan, just think of the amount of brownie points you will have once it’s done properly. I can tell you as an apprentice the one job you didn’t want was stripping that was before the use of stripping machines. Luxury! It will be worth it.

12. ohdearme

ohdearme

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Dear Johnny

You are begining to make me feel veeeery slighly more optimistic. Having supper now and will be in touch. Good night

Sponsored Links