Want to Be the next James Dyson ?

Sponsored Links
""Time was never mentioned or matters.""

It does if you are standing still because distance travelled in a given time, or any time for that matter, equals zero and using your mathematics, that equates to 0mpg.

The only "efficient" lawn-mower in hydrocarbon terms is the type you physically push yourself.
2 benefits : zero carbon footprint (if you only consider petrol used) and a slimmer waistline.

Sponsored Links
A Honda petrol mower won't have a Briggs and Stratton fitted.

You are right, it is a Honda Engine, I think, although probably not made by Honda. Still very very inefficient.

It's not logical to class a machine that can cut grass as being inefficient when you don't know the tonnage it chops down every year.

And then compare the tonnage and fuel consumption with other machines to see which one is the most efficient.

Some farmers do that when they buy a new tractor.

It's not logical to class a machine that can cut grass as being inefficient when you don't know the tonnage it chops down every year.

And then compare the tonnage and fuel consumption with other machines to see which one is the most efficient.

It is Logical to compare work Done to Fuel used.

But you're not doing that.

What is your machines harvest tonnage/fuel consumption ratio? :LOL:

You don't know do you? :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHWW90SM4xE

That machine probably consumes about 10 gallon to the mile.
Does that make it inefficient? :LOL:

I worked out the distance I walk behind this machine and estimate I get about 3-4 miles per gallon out of it.

If I could invent a mower that used half or even a third of a gallon to cut/travel the same distance, would you rush out and buy it? Except for people who cut grass for a living, I don't think that the small amount of fuel used for mowing really features highly in people's expenditure.

Dyson didn't become a success by saving people money. The opposite in fact. His products are several times the price of competeing vacuums. Invent a mower with a world beating cutting performance or other tangible advantage, and you might just clean up.

I worked out the distance I walk behind this machine and estimate I get about 3-4 miles per gallon out of it.

If I could invent a mower that used half or even a third of a gallon to cut/travel the same distance, would you rush out and buy it? Except for people who cut grass for a living, I don't think that the small amount of fuel used for mowing really features highly in people's expenditure.

Dyson didn't become a success by saving people money. The opposite in fact. His products are several times the price of competeing vacuums. Invent a mower with a world beating cutting performance or other tangible advantage, and you might just clean up.

That is a fair point.
It's Just that 4 mpg is annoying me.

Yes I am !

Where?
How many tons of grass does your machine mow down?[/quote]

Your question should be 'How much WORK does your Machine do compared to how much work my car does for the same amount of fuel.
Now please don't ask how much grass does my car cut.
The comparison is simply Work Done against Fuel consumed.
It strikes me my car does an awful lot more work per gallon of fuel consumed.
My car drags a ton of metal around for 40 miles were my Mower manages just 4 miles and the mower only weight 200 lbs. Seems a bit odd don't you think.

Yes I am !

Where?
How many tons of grass does your machine mow down?

Your question should be 'How much WORK does your Machine do compared to how much work my car does for the same amount of fuel.
My car drags a ton of metal around for 40 miles were my Mower manages just 4 miles and the mower only weight 200 lbs. Seems a bit odd don't you think.[/quote]

Your car is over a 100 horse power. The mower barely one.

But if you hitched a grass mower to the car then I'll bet the lawn mower will be at least twice as efficient.

"Work done" in this case is the tonnage of grass being mowed down.
To which you are ignoring.

The heavier the grass the more fuel is consumed. Most big dumb farm boys are aware of that fact.
Power to weight ratio in other words. Fendt tractors lose to power to the shaft when the machine starts climbing a hill.
Thus maintaining ultimate cutting efficiency!

Yes I am !

Where?
How many tons of grass does your machine mow down?

My car drags a ton of metal around for 40 miles were my Mower manages just 4 miles and the mower only weight 200 lbs. Seems a bit odd don't you think.

Your car is over a 100 horse power. The mower barely one.

But if you hitched a grass mower to the car then I'll bet the lawn mower will be at least twice as efficient.

"Work done" in this case is the tonnage of grass being mowed down.
To which you are ignoring.

The heavier the grass the more fuel is consumed. Most big dumb farm boys are aware of that fact.[/quote]

But aren't you ignoring the Work done by my Car dragging a ton for 40 miles.
It strikes me that dragging a ton 40 miles is lot more work that moving a lawn mower 4 miles

Sponsored Links
Back