Want to Be the next James Dyson ?

Sponsored Links
Your lawn mower will definitely do the most work based on its power/weight ratio.

Sponsored Links
This thread has got silly again.
Certainly not constructive as I had hoped but have come to expect from DIY contributors
I sign out yet again.

If you look on the Honda site, then somewhere in the specs for the engines it gives 1.3 litres an hour for their smallest lawnmower engine 160cc.
So that's going to roughly 1.3 litres to 3 miles (assuming the thing runs at 3 mph). Or about 10 mpg.
I don't use a walk behind mower much, but I'd have guessed somewhere around a couple of pints an hour from past use.
10 mpg is still pretty low, but the things are low geared to the wheels, and are running a grass cutter as well.
A car won't give 40mpg if you keep it in first gear all the time.

Just walk faster.

Time was never mentioned or matters.

Yes it does.
The mower engine spins the cutting blades within a relatively narrow RPM range so to all intents and purposes fuel consumption can be treated as a constant in Ltr/Hr.
The time taken to mow the lawn is therefore the critical thing and if you walked faster, you'd mow the lawn quicker, and hence use less fuel.

I have never owned a petrol mower but have always been under the impression that they used very little fuel so I am shocked at how few miles per gallon they achieve.

I found those estimated figures hard to believe too. I wonder whether the OP made an error somewhere down the line.

I'm not sure Dyson is a good example though as there appear to be more dysons at the rubbish tip than there are in the shops. :LOL:

We've had Dysons for years and have found them to be very reliable, if a little on the expensive side. In any event, James Dyson's ideas must have been very sound as so many other manufacturers have 'stolen' his ideas for use in their own products. So much for our patents system!

I am aware of the amount of innovation and research that goes into Dyson products, I have own 2 dyson vacs, and I have to say they were both rubbish! (no loss of suction... my 'arris)

I have never owned a petrol mower but have always been under the impression that they used very little fuel so I am shocked at how few miles per gallon they achieve.

I found those estimated figures hard to believe too. I wonder whether the OP made an error somewhere down the line.

I'm not sure Dyson is a good example though as there appear to be more dysons at the rubbish tip than there are in the shops. :LOL:

We've had Dysons for years and have found them to be very reliable, if a little on the expensive side. In any event, James Dyson's ideas must have been very sound as so many other manufacturers have 'stolen' his ideas for use in their own products. So much for our patents system!

I am aware of the amount of innovation and research that goes into Dyson products, I have own 2 dyson vacs, and I have to say they were both rubbish! (no loss of suction... my 'arris)

Its more the loss of parts as bits tend to drop off and don't fit back on.

This thread has got silly again.
Certainly not constructive as I had hoped but have come to expect from DIY contributors
I sign out yet again.

:?: I thought this thread was doing quite well (apart from my comments maybe) - unless you think that someone on here is actually going to reinvent the mower?

It was silly from the beginning.
It requires an incredible amount of energy to cut grass. The OP should ditch his lawn mower for the summer and use a sythe.
Then he'll realise just how much energy it requires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOBZZSiRIk8

Those pansies are breaking a sweat after a few strokes. My Dad mowed hundreds of acres using a scythe.

What you should be doing is planting vegetables in your lawns. :idea:

At last, a great excuse for.... couldn't use one of those... left handed you see.

this post went way off the track, amateur physics whilst trying to remember school all failing to take into account 2 missing forces and machine comparisons can only be judged by the domain they're in. For example, Mr Fat Bastard lets his grass grow to 6 inches, his grass type is perfetto. Mr Fit Bod cuts his when only 2 inches. However, he is cursed with savanha. Both use the same mower. Who has the biggest workload ?

Its more the loss of parts as bits tend to drop off and don't fit back on.

I've only noticed a loss of suction once, and that was after I'd tried to vacuum some small bits of rubble (don't ask!) which, of course, got stuck in the pipe. This was easily dismantled (another design advantage), the rubbish removed and the (powerful) suction restored. Is it possible that you forgot to clean the filters? :LOL:

I have no experience of 'bits dropping off'. Perhaps I've just been lucky. Which bit fell off, and why wouldn't it fit back on again?

Btw, I should mention that I am not a Dyson employee!

Sponsored Links
Back