Wanted, a powerful sticky paste

Sponsored Links
And as has been said before...
...why don't you give us the full picture...
...with a picture! :D
Because I have had enough experience to know exactly what would do the job. What I don't have is an encyclopeadic knowledge of adhesive products, and so far, even the Web has not led me to one. I just thought that someone might know just what I am looking for and be able to name it. All that about the shed may have even been a distraction. It certainly set people trying to solve the problem. Really, a picture would be beside the point. It would only prompt more inappropriate suggestions about "how to tackle the job" I know how to tackle it, but need the right stuff.
L.L.

It would only prompt more inappropriate suggestions about "how to tackle the job" I know how to tackle it, but need the right stuff.
Well, if the 'Right' stuff doesn't exist (or is in appropriate to use in this circumstance), then maybe it is time to question how you tackle the job! ;)

Well, if the 'Right' stuff doesn't exist (or is in appropriate to use in this circumstance), then maybe it is time to question how you tackle the job! ;)
Your comment presupposes that it is possible to tackle the job in some way. If a china teapot is dropped, it's not likely that there will be any tackling of its mending, however regrettable it may be that it was dropped. It would be thrown away. I shall keep looking for a suitable form of adhesive, which may or not turn up.
L.L.

Sponsored Links
I think you have to accept you don’t know how to repair it and get someone who does .

Foxhole, I do appreciate your willingness to help if possible, but words are not able to describe the particular circumstance of the shed. I'm afraid a roller would not do at all. Thanks all the same. I want a hand-mouldable sticky paste — like plastocene, but with plenty of grab, and nothing else will do.
L.L..
I’ll ask op what most must be thinking, How do you plan on moulding something in your hand thats sticky and strong enough to hold the felt and manage to let go of it once in position ?

Last edited:
I’ll ask op what most must be thinking, How do you plan on moulding something in your hand thats sticky and strong enough to hold the felt and manage to let go of it once in position ?
I would wear a disposable plastic glove, push the pellet in place, and press the felt down on it with my thumb. It may be awkward, but many times, things sort themselves out, whereas thinking about something can create a million difficulties.
L.L.

A loop of duct tape, so it acts like double sided tape.

Doesn't sound the strongest best or longest term answer but might just hold the felt down.

Or get somebody else to go on the roof with a more permanent solution?

I would wear a disposable plastic glove, push the pellet in place, and press the felt down on it with my thumb. It may be awkward, but many times, things sort themselves out, whereas thinking about something can create a million difficulties.
L.L.
If you are going to wear disposable gloves why can't you squeeze any of the previously mentioned tube dispensed adhesives into your gloved hands & apply it as you seem to want to?

If you are going to wear disposable gloves why can't you squeeze any of the previously mentioned tube dispensed adhesives into your gloved hands & apply it as you seem to want to?
Hey, it's certainly worth considering — I hadn't thought of that, so thanks. I would find out whether it will work by actually doing (or trying to do) what you suggest. Messing with a gun and a tube could complicate matters I think, and an adhesive more robust than a gunnable one would be easier, for that reason. I shall keep on looking for an adhesive that can be moulded with the fingers, and, if one does not turn up, I shall consider using an extrudable adhesive. Thanks again.
L.L.

Ok, have come up with an idea that may get any adhesive that sticks felt into position one handed.
I you cut the closed, needle end off a syringe, fill it with adhesive, position and empty the contents as a blob.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 37
How far away is the neighbour's fence?

Would you be able to use a drill with an angle attachment to drive in screws with washers?

Off hand, I can't think of any product that will provide instant grab between timber and bitumous products.

I guess you could rip the felt off and burn on new stuff.

I don't however fully understand what the problem is. Is the felt lifting in the wind? Or is it now projecting too far out for the water to run in to the gutter?

Good god! What an earth can you reach with your hand but not reach with that same hand with a foot long mastic gun or expanding foam nozzle on the end?

Just stick a few bricks on top to hold it down.

Good god! What an earth can you reach with your hand but not reach with that same hand with a foot long mastic gun or expanding foam nozzle on the end?

Just stick a few bricks on top to hold it down.
Thanks, all, for the comments, but the whole thing is becoming a bit of a farce now. My original question was, can anyone suggest a mouldable, not-sloppy adhesive with plenty of grab? I explained what it was for merely in an incidental manner. No one was able to suggest such an adhesive — perhaps because nonesuch exists. Now, the thread has changed into how to do the job, with what other adhesives might do. Everybody had an intention to help, but I can't keep up discussions — I have a sick wife to attend to.

So, in the absence of an answer to my original question, I must take all suggestions and think about them. It's not that I don't appreciate all the answers, but I thought it would be a simple question, answered simply and would not tie me down.
Thanks to you all!
L.L.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back