Wanted, a powerful sticky paste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! Our garden shed is roofed with a very sturdy felt with lots of tiny stone chips stuck to it. When I re-felted the shed several years ago, I pinned the felt down with nails no more than half an inch long, with big heads, but they have come out of the wood where the felt overhangs the gutter. I never did trust those nails! Anyway, it occurred to me that, instead of using nails, I could use blobs of some kind of powerful adhesive, and press the felt onto the blobs. (The kind of stuff that steel sinks are pressed onto, when fitting into the hole prepared in a chipboard sink top, to seal round the edges of the sink, comes to mind.) However, I am in doubt as to whether this would "grab" the springy felt, and hold it to the wood.

So, my question is: can anyone recommend any kind of putty-like material, similar, perhaps, to that used for bedding steel sink-tops, but which would be strong enough to instantly "grab" the felt and hold it to the wood? Naturally, when applied, it would be out of any rain, being covered by the felt.

Thanks in advance, for any suggestions!
L.L.

Sponsored Links
For smallish areas CT1 adhesive is very good, but add a few nails anyway to save you waiting!
Failing that, Acrypol, if trowelled on, is an excellent adhesive and sealing barrier.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I've never used it, but you do get black sealant in a tube which adheres to felt

Thanks for the link, scbk, but despite its being gunned out (usually, this is a very convenient way to apply stuff), I don't think it would be suitable. I want something that can be rolled into pellets by hand, and applied by hand with an outstretched arm, in some places. Access is difficult because of the neighbour's fence, and a gun would not do.
L.L.

For smallish areas CT1 adhesive is very good, but add a few nails anyway to save you waiting!
Failing that, Acrypol, if trowelled on, is an excellent adhesive and sealing barrier.
John :)
Burnerman, thanks also. All of the suggestions offered are good, as regards adhesive power, but (it's a complex situation) the circumstances demand that I be able to apply with the fingers.
L.L.

Thanks to you also, Foxhole, but it would not do, for the same reason given to scbk.
L.L.
Oh , you want to have to reach to apply it instead of using a suitable tool ?

Oh , you want to have to reach to apply it instead of using a suitable tool ?
Foxhole, I do appreciate your willingness to help if possible, but words are not able to describe the particular circumstance of the shed. I'm afraid a roller would not do at all. Thanks all the same. I want a hand-mouldable sticky paste — like plastocene, but with plenty of grab, and nothing else will do.
L.L..

Foxhole, I do appreciate your willingness to help if possible, but words are not able to describe the particular circumstance of the shed. I'm afraid a roller would not do at all. Thanks all the same. I want a hand-mouldable sticky paste — like plastocene, but with plenty of grab, and nothing else will do.
L.L..
Maybe a photograph instead then?

L.L..
I can just visualise it, hung up spending a night on the tiles stuck there by the pinkies

The only thing I can think of is epoxy putty.....strong as hell and mess free - but with no instant grab properties at all.
Can you climb on the roof and get some access that way?
John

The only thing I can think of is epoxy putty.....strong as hell and mess free - but with no instant grab properties at all.
Can you climb on the roof and get some access that way?
John
Burnerman, I'm a regular user of epoxy putty, but it wouldn't do at all. I was on the roof a week ago, mending up cracks with bitumen. I managed, but I thought, never again (at age 89). To lean over and down, to work on the eaves, would be asking for an accident. No, I know the kind of stuff I need, but it doesn't seem to be on the market. Thanks anyway.
L.L.

Use LONGER nails!
Ha, that would seem to be the obvious thing to do, since they would be driven, not into a roofing board (thin), but into a rail along the eaves. However, there are parts that cannot be reached with hammer and nails (they used to be reachable, when the shed was put up, but circumstances change). That's why I want a gob of sticky stuff to reach out with and press in quickly. Words never convey the full picture.
L.L.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back