Wanted - Ultimate Workshop Floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently built a 7x9m Garage/workshop but I'm currently still working (race car prep) on a raw unsealed concrete floor.. I like the idea of cheap ceramic floor tiles but don't like the look of the cost of 7x9 of sealant + adhesive + tiles..

Also, I am obviously a bit concerned that the cheaper tiles are the weakest. I figured with carefull application to ensure that the adhesive supports the whole tile I'll be OK with moderatly sympathetic use?

Anyone got any bright ideas.. experiences which might help? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Assuming you are happy with the flatness of your floor surface,why not just use garage floor paint ?
Cheap enough,easy to do,easy to sweep and keep clean.
Tiles can also crack if you happen to drop brake discs or similar heavy car bits on them :eek:

for my money a vinylised floor tile is best. The type that snaps when you try to bend it...I don't think this site allows you to name names :rolleyes:
They look good, better than a painted floor, and they provide a warmer surface than ceramic or quarry tiles and don't crack if you drop a spanner on them. Their fairly stable in damp conditions and are laid with an asphalt tile adhesive which acts to some extent as a d.p.m. which is re-assuring in a garage where dampness might be a problem. Their also easy to clean.

you can link to their website

If you go the tiled route them make sure you use the correct adhesive, Bal make a range specifically for garages & showrooms. With decent tiles there will be little damage if the tile is fully bedded. I use it a lot for large format floor tiles

http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/bal/main/bal_prod/mtobnd.html

A another alternative is an epoxy floor coating which is a lot more durable than floor paint, I have used this when building an MOT bay, lasted well.

http://www.watco.co.uk

Jason

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back