Wardrobe Feet Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_5672.JPG IMG_5673.JPG IMG_5674.JPG IMG_5675.JPG
Hello

I purchased a wooden wardrobe online and when it was delivered all four feet were damaged. One was completely broken off and the other feet were attached but cracked. The wardrobe was to match with other furniture and the supplier had no replacements so I went for the option of keeping the wardrobe, with a partial refund of the purchase price from the supplier.

My queries are how would you best recommend that I repair the feet that are still attached and how would you recommend that I reattach the foot that has broken off.

I've attached photos of all four feet.

MTIA

John

Sponsored Links
Some seriously poor designs here, the feet are somewhat undersized where they need to be.
The timber looks like oak and each fault needs to be addressed individually. Try each crack to see if the gap can be closed and kept closed with some sort of cramp, even if it means removing the odd screw. If the gap can be closed, flood the gap first with some PVA glue and cramp up, giving at least 24 hrs to dry in each case. Gluing alone wont be strong enough so I'd consider drilling deep dowel holes to reinforce the joint and gluing dowels in - plane a couple of flats on the dowels to allow the glue to remain inside.
Perhaps if you gave us a shot of the wardrobe frontal view - I dont suppose its possible to remove the feet or fit another replacement?
John :)

The cracks look like they all were caused by the screws into dry un-piloted holes. Remove all the screws and then you can glue and clamp the legs to repair, drill pilot holes before replacing crews.

agree with much of above - the legs that are intact but cracked - remove screws, glue crack and cramp then drill pilot hole for screw (important) then re screw. If you dont do adequate pilot hole, the crack will split again. the leg thats broken off completely hmmm, only real option is to remove all screws, glue and cramp and re screw. Did I mention make sure you have good size pilot holes:D ( as a too narrow pilot screw for the screw shank will cause the wood to split again)

Sponsored Links
All I'll add, is that you gently open up the gap first with something wide like a chisel, so that you can get the glue as far down as possible, then get someone to push the glue down as far as they can.

It almost looks as though the legs are a sub assembly to the main wardrobe, so you may find it easier to remove that, and then work on them. Looking at picture 3, it seems as though a repair has already been attempted, but without the pilot hole that others have suggested.

This furniture must have cracked when the assembler was busy.....not much evidence of quality control! :eek:
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back