Wardrobe light switch, 2 amp OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking at installing some lighting inside a wardrobe. The plan is to use a flourescent tube less than 20W. I found this switch which might be OK for turning the light on when the door opens: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FM143.html, but it says it's rated at 2 amps.

I'm sure a 20W light would be less current, but would I need to put in a fuse of less than 2 amp to protect it? Can you get 1 amp fuses, the smallest I've seen is 3.

Any advise would be great, I'm still just planning so I'm open to alternatives.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The thing with fluorescent lighting is that it has a warm up time. Depending what sort of fitting you choose it could be anything up to a minute. And fast switching does no good for the tubes.

I dont see why that switch couldnt be used. Not sure on fusing down though - it could be argued the switch is protected by the load it is connected to (but fluorescent lighting has a start up surge) - await more advice!

If your running it off the light circuit there is no need to fuse it seperately.

If you intend to run it via a fused spur off a ring or socket radial then it needs fusing.

You can buy 1A fuses for a fused spur.

MK601.JPG

TLC again

Thanks Chri5, I was planning to run it off the lighting circuit.

I assume I would be best to put in a proper switch too to permanetly cut power for example when changing the bulb?

Sponsored Links
That would make sense, although some would simply make sure the door switch is off via some gaffer tape or spmething wedged to keep the switch in the off position.

Your suggestion is the 'cleanest' method.

The thing with fluorescent lighting is that it has a warm up time. Depending what sort of fitting you choose it could be anything up to a minute.
I've got these in my wardrobe:

XLL20W.JPG

No appreciable warm-up or start time...

Thanks Chri5, I was planning to run it off the lighting circuit.
If you can easily access a socket circuit you might like to reconsider - always handy to have lights on different circuits...

I assume I would be best to put in a proper switch too to permanetly cut power for example when changing the bulb?
Good point - you wouldn't want to have to get in the wardrobe & close the door to be able to switch them off..... :LOL:

You might as well install an FCU then, and fuse it down...

Yep a switched fused spur would probably be the best idea here.

It provides an easy place to isolate the lights, and can incorporate a 1amp fuse to protect the switch contacts too.

If you use something like a triphosphor fluorescent fitting, they are physically much smaller, so easier to fit in a wardrobe, and they also have a much quicker warm up time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back