Warehouse lighting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got some high level bay lights in my warehouse. The light the bulbs emit is unbearably yellow. I want to change the bulbs for something that emits a whiter light. I imagine the current ones are very old so that may be contributing to their poor performanc.

Looking at the bulbs it seems you can get son, son-t and son-e. The current ones are clear tubular, Ill check wattage prior to replacing,

can I use any of the son bulbs?

Which would be best for producing white light if that is the case?

cheers
andy

Sponsored Links
Son T are tubular, son E elliptical (standard bulb shape).

You need to pay attention to internal or external igniter. I in a triangle on lamp.

There are some whiter Son lamps, but nothing crisp white. You would be looking at different control gear for different lamp types.

Thanks, ill remove lamp tomorrow and see what info I can get from it.

How would you normally gain access to them? Luckily I have a pair or airplane steps that mean I can easily reach 4 of the fittings, but the ones in the middle are around 6m up and im about 1m short of them..

Sponsored Links
Yellow does give the impression there son T, a majority of 250 or 400w versions are external ignited, meaning the ignitor is located in the fitting rather than the lamp.
I second RF, venture lamps are good and often refered to as white son, though I have found they usually require an external ignitor, which is likely what you have.
Regarding access usually a scissor lift is the way to go though expensive.
Though if the lamps are base upwards, there is an extendable lamp removal tool that you may be able to hire, or else a large A frame ladder.

Managed to get a lamp out and it was a Edison Son-t external ignition.

I've ordered some of the 400w Sodium/Murcury dual Son-t.

Says they are around 4000k, I reckon the ones that I was running were working at about 2000k as they were old and had probably deteriorated. Don't have to wait too long to see the difference.

I was tempted to get some LED corn lamps, They work at 5000k+ would they have worked in the units I have. I'm still considering it, but I have 6 units and at about 70 quid a throw for 400w equivalents, it seemed a bit excessive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back